Thread: Sears Craftsman Turning Tools: Old American made verses new China made tools

Sears Craftsman Turning Tools: Old American made verses new China made tools

How do the new Craftsman turning tools that are made in China compare to the old one's that were made in the USA?

Don't know about that specifically, but, if the ones you're lookin' at do not say HSS, IMHO, stay away from them.

Harbor Freight has a Quality (NOT as good as SORBY) set of HSS in a wooden box for about $30.00 that I find pretty good and they won't lose their temper if you get them a little hot while grinding them.

Bruce

Bob I can't speak for the tools made in China. But I have a set of 8 Craftsman high carbon steel tools & just got a set of 12 Craftsman HHS tools. After sharpening all my tools including the Grizzly SteeleX (purchased about 4 yrs ago not sure where their made) on my Wolverine sharpening system I don't notice any difference between the longevity of the edge sharpness on the SteeleX as compared to the HHS Craftsman tools.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Shiverdecker
    Don't know about that specifically, but, if the ones you're lookin' at do not say HSS, IMHO, stay away from them.

Harbor Freight has a Quality (NOT as good as SORBY) set of HSS in a wooden box for about $30.00 that I find pretty good and they won't lose their temper if you get them a little hot while grinding them.

Bruce
    There seem to be a lot of people using the HF tools. I've kept my mouth shut so far because I have bought a couple sets of them myself but I'm finding myself very unhappy with them. I don't have a problem with the frequent sharpening they require but my main complaint about them is that they simply tear up and also bend. They have a small tang and I have had several tear loose out of the handles (seems they have weak ferrules also) but what really aggrevates me the most is when the steel bends. I think that is uncalled for. These tools are okay for small objects (relatively) but the last year or so I have been working on bigger stuff and when you get these things working 4 or 5 inches off the tool rest, the thing just gives way. I'm not sure what is worse, the steel bending, which means the handle is holding, or the handle just giving way.

In any event, I will not be buying these any more.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

If I were to add any credit to products made in China, it would only be to chop-sticks, PERIOD!!

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ps: and maybe, fortune cookies.

I have 4 Craftsman HSS tools that I've been using since 97, 1/2" skew, 1/8 diamond parting, 1/4 parting made from a spear point and a 1/2" scraper and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kiessling
    They have a small tang and I have had several tear loose out of the handles (seems they have weak ferrules also) but what really aggrevates me the most is when the steel bends.
    If they have a tang, they are definitely a spindle tool and shouldn't be used around face-plate oriented work. They can snap off too easily and that can cause injury.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jims right! The Harbor Freight set is for SPINDLE turning..........NOT BOWLS, Although I have done some work on the OUTSIDE of bowls with them. I have Sorby tools for bowl work. ( I wait for them to go on sale and get them one at a time)

Sorry for NOT mentioning it. MY Apologies to ALL!

Bruce

I knew they were spindle turning tools but I only found it out after I had bought them. I bought them before I knew anything about turning. That is why I reground some of them, like the skew, into a variety of scrapers.

I didn't know, however, that only spindle turning tools have tangs. I guess that's why these converted tools keep breaking on me. Well, you learn something every day. I'm bound and determined, however, to get some use out of these things because I just don't do spindle work. Well, hardly ever. That's why I kept one of the spindle gauges.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree