Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunchbox Planer Debate

Lunchbox Planer Debate

Hello All,
    I am in the process of buying a "lunchbox" planer as it meets my needs. After an extensive search of this forum about the various options, I have narrowed it down to two units: the Delta 22-580 and the Dewalt D735. I have driven myself crazy debating which one to get but am leaning (today at least) towards the Delta as it seems to have the same features as the Dewalt but at a lower price.

I like the price on the Delta (I can get it for $318 with amazon discount) but a Dewalt refurb is only slightly higher ($380). I would then need to buy tables for it at $50. Is the Dewalt worth the extra $100? Also, am I really going to notice any difference if I went with the Dewalt? I should mention that I am a hobbyist, but cannot stand cheaply made products.

Thanks everyone.
    "Don't call me a Perfectionist, that's not quite the right word."

I love my DW735. More than worth it IMAO. I sold mine when I moved and bought another one when I had some place to put it.

BTW, is that what it's called?.....A "lunchbox" planer? Wow.....thats a big, expensive "bleeping" lunchbox. And it carries no food even.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I bought the 22-580 shortly after it came out as I wanted something with two speeds and rubber feeder rollers. I have since put well over 5 thousand feet of exotics and figured wood through it and it works like the day it came out of the box.

The only negative thing is the dust hood, I find with many of the woods when I go over 9" it will plug the chute, CFM is not the issue just poor design.

I have three friends with the Dewalt and used one in my shop for a weekend just to test drive, it's nice unit and I am partial to the yellow color as it would match many other tools in the shop....but based on my experience it would be a coin toss.

Scott, I believe there was another thread about these two planers in comparison just a few days ago. Ah...here it is... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=Planer Lots of good commentary.

BTW, my "work phone extension" originates out of Highlands Ranch, although I'm physically in PA. Nice area and I always enjoy visiting it.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-29-2005 at 5:29 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As far as the dust shoot is concerned my 13" Jet does the same thing. trying to "suck" a planer flake ( as I call them) wider the 4" dust hook up will clog up most of them. As the planer I'm little help I have friends with both planners. And they are happy each respective ones.

Makita, DeWalt 735 or Delta 22-580?

Scott,

I too am going through the same process of trying to decide on a planer. I narrowed it down to the same 2 you did (22-580 or 735) as well as the Makita 2012NB. I'd be curious to know if there are any Makita owners out there and what their thoughts are.

Thanks,

Chris

I've been using basically makita 2012 and 2012nb planers for about 8 years now and can't say enough good things about them. I normally keep one for about 3 years putting about 5 to 6,000 feet thru it per year. In 8 years I have replaced one belt and that was because a knotgot hung in the planer. Other than that, there has been no maintnance cost. About 2 years ago, I bought the Delta 22-580 with the idea of selling the Makita and keeping the Delta. By the time I got the Delta set up the difference was evident. The Makita is just a much better built machine. I sold the Delta. I have no experience with the DeWalt but I understand that it is the loudest on the market while the makita is the quietest.

I looked long and hard at all three (Delta 22-580, DW735, and the Makita 2012NB) at various dealers and tool/ww shows and decided on the Makita. I've had it about 3 months and have been pleased with it. Minimal snipe, considerably quieter than either the Delta or DW, more portable than either (the Makita weighs 61 lbs vs the 90+ of the DW and Delta)...... I'd buy it again. It's a simple planer that gets the job done; it has few bells and whistles- single speed, no head lock to engage etc. Another thing that swayed my opinion was that the Makita seemed to have fewer issues- earlier DW735 had sprocket problems and some owners report quickly dulling knives, and some 22-580 owners have reported feed problems.

My story is that I started with the Delta 560. This unit was so so -- my memory is that it sniped more then I liked. Then I got a chance to get a 15" Jet for a particularly good price and went with that for a few years. It was very LOUD, heavy, large and sniped even worse then the 560. Finally, to the universal acclaim of my highly structured nighborhood HOA, I purchased a DeWalt 735 and haven't looked back since. This machine has consistently produced a near snipe free cut everytime I use it -- and I've used it hard. Plus, unlike the Jet, blade changes are a snap!

I would purchase the DeWalt again in a second.
    Peter Lyon

I have had the DW735 for over a year and it has performed without a hitch. I have yet to replace the blades. I cannot compare it to either of the other 2 models, because I have never used them.

I'm another WW in the Makita camp - I've had the 2012NB for several years with no issues. If I were to buy today I'd take a good look at the DeWalt (735), but it would take a lot to sway me from the Makita!

-Ryan

12. I've got a little bit different Makita, it is a thickness planer/jointer combo 2030S

I don't use the jointer now that I have the larger one, but the planer works VERY well, no snipe, and one well built machine.

Cheers!

Debate Settled!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the positive feedback and advice that I get here.
    Even though for some reason, I really like the Dewalt more, I cannot justify the extra $100 for a refurbished one with tables.

I was able to order the Delta off of amazon for $318 ($368 + free shipping - $50 off a $250 order). Thought the $50 off deal ended on Wednesday but it showed up when I checked out.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!
    "Don't call me a Perfectionist, that's not quite the right word."

14. I'm sure you will be very happy with it, I think that any of them will do a fine job.

Cheers!

Good luck with the Delta, it should serve you well.

Stu - I had seen pictures of that Makita before. Out of curiosity, how well did the jointer work? (I already have a Powermatic Jointer, but always wondered how the Makita did)

-Ryan