Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Near miss in the lathe!!!

Near miss in the lathe!!!

Well what can I say but that I’m stupid sometimes. I was going to turn this 12”x8” blank into a hollow form. It had a bark incursion running through it that I thought only went about a third deep. Though it would look real good! First mistake was that I was a little tired. It was around 5:30 and I had already roughed out a large blank and was going to quit but though I would mount this blank and rough it out a little to see what it was going to look like. I mounted a faceplate to it and brought up the tail stock and started roughing. I had it at the slowest speed and all went well. I got it rounded and balanced and was working on the shape when I decided to kick the speed up a little. What I didn’t realize was that I had cut away most of what was holding the two sides together as I kicked up the speed the blank split apart into two 7 to 8 pound chunks one of which went straight up and busted a hole in the 3/8” plywood on the ceiling. The other tried to shoot out the front of the lathe and hit the tool rest breaking the banjo but it slowing it down enough that I was able to duck and get my hand up as the 8 pound chuck of hard maple flew toward my face. I caught it with the heal of my left hand and deflected it away from me. You say did I have a faceshield on, NO, I haven’t been wearing one because I didn’t like them getting in the way and they were hot and dusty. I did have safety glasses on. Will I wear a face shield from now on, YES. I wasn’t hurt except for a bruise on my hand but it looks like I won’t be turning until I get a new banjo!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sparky Paessler

Darn Sparky! That was a close call! Sure glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were. You just made a decision for me...I have similar piece laying on my bench that I was debating wether or not it would be safe to turn. NOT! When in doubt, toss it. No wonder I enjoy doing Itty Bitty's! LOL

Glad your Ok Sparky and it was only the banjo that broke!
    You are very lucky Bud!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Wow Sparky!!!!!!!!!!! Glad you weren't seriously hurt. ALWAYS wear a faceshield, even if it's a cheap one....just wear one. One thing I like about my PM lathe? It has a safety cage that I can let down when I am turning a piece that appears to be even a little questionable.

Glad to here that the only real damage was the new hole in your ceiling. Take care buddy and for heaven's sake....watch those flying pieces of wood.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks Carole, Jim and Dennis. Other than a little post tramatic stress I'm ok. Didn't know I could still move that fast. I will order a new banjo tomorrow.
    Sparky Paessler

BTW, Sparky

Looks to me like you have far to many blanks stashed there! Since it will probably take a while to get your new banjo and for the bruise on your hand to go away, there is the possibility that those blanks may run past their "prime". I know you wouldn't want that to happen so I'd be more than willing to help out if you want to ship a bunch of them my way!

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Valentine
    Looks to me like you have far to many blanks stashed there! Since it will probably take a while to get your new banjo and for the bruise on your hand to go away, there is the possibility that those blanks may run past their "prime". I know you wouldn't want that to happen so I'd be more than willing to help out if you want to ship a bunch of them my way!
    Oh Carole you wouldn't want them they all have those dark streaks in them from some beatle.
    Sparky Paessler

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Paessler
    Oh Carole you wouldn't want them they all have those dark streaks in them from some beatle.
    Arrrgh! You're so cruel!

Sounds like quite a trip Sparky. Glad to hear you survived the shrapnel. Hang the broken slide on the wall for reminders.

I guess that's what you call an "E-JET-SHUNG".

In an other post, one of the gang noted that baseball players wear gloves, maybe you should have had on the catchers mitt.

All in all, I''m glad to hear your ok.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

10. Wow Sparky! That gave me chills...

Glad you lived to tell the story... all kiddin' aside, glad you're okay and hopefully we'll all learn from your experience.

Hay Sparky, surprised Carole didn't catch this one. Do you folks always work in your shop with out any shoes??

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Hay Sparky, surprised Carole didn't catch this one. Do you folks always work in your shop with out any shoes??

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>
    Funny Bill! I had just run down to the shop to take pictures after getting cleaned up. I usually do wear shoes, well at least on Sundays!
    Sparky Paessler

Man I am glad you are alright. That is to close for comfort, but maybe we have all learned from this.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

I will bet you had some cleaning up to do. I'm getting into the photo thing a bit more these days, and I would like to say that's a nice shot of your ceiling, it's a wonder it missed the light fixture.

Man Sparky! That was close. Glad you escaped with only a bruised hand.