Thread: Did I make a big mistake & pass on a good deal?

Did I make a big mistake & pass on a good deal?

I went to my very first Woodcraft store this evening. This store (1 hour drive away) happens to be a franchise store and I was greeted by the owner. A very nice touch of customer service, I thought. After wondering around for about 1/2 hour I finally came to the tool dept. AND WHAT DID I SEE????????

One of the last (apparently) Rikon 10-340's. Actually it was the last one for the store but I was amazed they actually had one. I immediately started drooling. To borrow a phrase from another member, "It was SSSSSSEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT TTTTT!!!!! I jokingly asked a sales person about taking it with me if a deal on this last floor model could be struck. He suprised me by going and getting the owner. He came right out and asked me to name a price. I said $850. He chuckled a little but went over to the cash register and did a little figuring and came back with an offer of $950. Boy-O-Boy.....my fingers were reaching for my wallet. I told him that I really wanted to see the new Grizzly models before buying one but was serious about the $8xx.00 offer. He mentioned that he really won't have any trouble selling it and of course he won't but.........all the way home I wrestled maybe missing a great deal. Sure it is a good deal but I didn't know if it was a GREAT deal or not like $850 would be. Maybe $1000 cash out-the-door? That comes out to about $925 + tax.

And then Mr. Balolia from Grizzly kindly and generously teases us with the info re: the new improved G0513 and G0514. I am soooo confused. I was hoping to make a Grizzly order right now so that the machines could get here for a job I started yesterday.
    Did I mess up or not?
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 12-30-2005 at 1:03 AM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark, I usually find that when I have doubts on buying something, or still have questions on what to purchase, the best thing to do is to hold off on buying anything. If you had jumped in and bought the Rikon and the Griz models came out looking nicer, you would be kicking yourself for an impulse purchase. I would be willing to bet that the Woodcraft store would work a deal for you that would be pretty close to the one you were offered just about anytime you walked in to their store. I really like the way they do business.

I would suggest doing all your research, write down on a piece of paper the pros and cons of each saw you are considering, and then make your purchase when your decision is clear. Just my humble opinion Mark! Good luck and happy hunting!!!!
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

Naw...you're right Tom. That's what I was thinking in the store. I purposefully drove my car to the storer instead of my truck for exactly that reason. I'm leaning toward the Griz's anyway and really do want to see them first before I decide. In all seriousness, the only reason I'm in a hurry is the order/shipping time. If I decide on a Griz, I won't get to order it until next tuesday at the earliest and I really wanted to use them on this job. Oh well, what happens happens I guess. I hope the Rikon is there next week if I decide to go that way. If not.....???????? I just didn't know if it was a GREAT deal or just a good deal.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

But they were on sale last month for $899. Regular price is $999.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

That's $50 more than their often posted "sale" price for a saw that is going out of production. Not such a great deal in my estimation. You did good to pass on this one.

Add to the fact it is going out of production and so soon, you did the right thing. I sure love my G0513. BTW they have the models listed $899 in my store.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

I guess I have alittle different thought proccess. You were at the store, got to touch it, play with it and kinda test it.
    As opposed to ordering one, paying for it having it shipped in and then finding out how the fit and finish is.
    I cant believe at that price level, that there is going to be a dramatic difference in the two tools. And I bet if you would counter with a $900 offer the Woodcraft guy would have sold it to you.
    I have bought big tools from both Grizzly and Woodcraft. The most reassuring thing I get from buying it local (besides hands on) is that if there is a problem, I have somebody I can talk to, face to face.

Just my dos centavos.

Dave
    Mission Furniture- My mission is to build more furniture !

In the end. You just gotta go with what feels right. Obviously the Rikon didn't.

Don't sweat it too much, we get a whole lifetime to keep making these agonizing decisions.
    Good luck on whichever machine that you decide upon.