Thread: Refinishing birch

South-central PA (30 min W of Gettysburg)

Refinishing birch

I need opinions and options for a project on my hunting rifle's stock. It appears to be birch with a pretty heavy, matte topcoat which has some deep scratches but not into the wood in most cases. I'm a bit afraid to sand into the finish because I fear that the stain is laid on without much, if any, penetration. My most wanted plan is to strip to base wood and stain the stock gray but what would be the best option for staining? I don't want to completely lose the grain but I'm afraid that the factory does a better job with consistency on birch than I'm likely to achieve. BTW, I'm usually just a lurker here because I don't have much to offer the group.
    TIA,
    Chiz

chiz, i`m sure you`ll get a better response when you dump the handle and step up with your real name........welcome anyway. tod

South-central PA (30 min W of Gettysburg)
    Sorry 'bout the moniker, Tod. I wend back thru my CP and don't see how to change the displayed name to 'Chiz Eisenhuth'. Not trying to be coy or anything, honest. I also updated my CP so that it's more complete. I don't know why I left it so empty. Must have been ina hurry initially and forgot to get back to it. If there's moderator reading this, feel free to make the change for me. Now, about that birch

chiz, most production factories use pigments in the actual finish in order to achieve consistant color. this mix is commonly refered to as a "toner". if you have spray equipment and some time you will be able to achieve the look you`re striving for either on top of the existing finish or by sanding to fresh wood. good luck, and i hope this helps? tod

Chiz, welcome to the creek. If you will send a message to Jackie Outen she can change your sign in name. If you really want to strip the stock back to wood, you might consider using a die to get the gray color you want, then something (a stain) to bring out the grain. You would need to use some of the barrel channel to experiment on with the die, but I assume that like most rifles today it is free floating or only bedded at the fore end and near the action.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.