Thread: A good deal?

Question A good deal?

While I was out bummin today I found a bunch of 1/8" thick,28"x48"(approx) birdseye & curly maple veneer for $15 per sheet. Is this a good deal? If I bought some, how would I apply it? The guy said to iron it on using yellow glue and then clamp it in a plywood press. I want to try veneering but haven't had a chance to make a vac. press yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

depends

If you like veneering then that is a good price ($1.60 sf), but are you sure is is 1/8" thick? If it is solid stock then you have bentwood lamination stock rather than veneer. Veneer is more like 1/32 thick.

Ironing on with yellow glue may work, but there are good books and articles out there on veneering.
    Geoff in Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tonich
    While I was out bummin today I found a bunch of 1/8" thick,28"x48"(approx) birdseye & curly maple veneer for $15 per sheet. Is this a good deal? If I bought some, how would I apply it? The guy said to iron it on using yellow glue and then clamp it in a plywood press. I want to try veneering but haven't had a chance to make a vac. press yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe
    1/8", 1/32" or otherwise...That works out to less than two bucks a sq.ft. 'Round these parts, that's not a deal, it's legalized robbery! Don't I wish I lived near you! If it's nice looking stuff, I'd say take as MUCH as you can afford and worry about the "how-to's" later, 'cuz otherwise it may be gone! BTW, if it truly is 1/8", then it's, more than likely, already been laminated to some sort of backer board. Shouldn't take too much to glue that down to just about any flat surface. If it's a solid 1/8", then Geoff's suggestion of bentwood laminating is another great end use. Shore do wish it were me in your shoes, 'bout now!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!