Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with buying a chuck

Blog Entries

Help with buying a chuck

I have a Nova Lathe 1624 with a 1-1/4”-8 spindle thread. While I’ve had the large for many years I’ve not turned much but I’m back into woodworking and I’d like to get a chuck for it. I’d like something that I could use for gripping some smaller square and round stock as well as use to learn on bowls and such.
    I’m ok with paying for good quality and prefer to spend more now rather than replacing a beginner chuck later.
    What are your recommendations for a good chuck?

For years I've used a Vicmarc mid-size chuck and extremely pleased. I have long nosed jaws that can clamp on a 1" diameter or so, up to a set of jaws that can clamp about 5 1/4" and a bit larger.

I bought a Record Power chuck based on the recommendation of another woodturner. The kit comes with a woodworm screw, faceplate and 50 mm jaws. It's been a good chuck and is big enough to turn 10" bowls. Record Power also has a full range of jaws for the chuck. I also have a Oneway Stonghold chuck for larger bowl turning. Vicmarc, Oneway, Record Power, Nova all make good chucks. You won't go wrong with any of them.

Eric -- I'll answer your question first, then I'll make a suggestion that might not seem responsive. I think the best bang for the buck in chucks right now are the chucks from Record Power. There are two: The SC3 and the SC4. The SC4 is slightly larger and a little more money. I prefer it because it uses a 'standard' hex key, rather than a 'chuck key'. With the SC4, it's easier to find a replacement key should you need one. Also a good value are Teknatool's NOVA chucks, in particular the G3 and the SUPERNOVA2. You'll see the Record Power chucks have a striking resemblance to the NOVA chucks. The Record Power are virtual clones, just with a slightly better fit and finish. The SC4, with the proper set of jaws, will handle anything you can safely turn on your 1624. So will the SC3.

Having said that, I prefer Vicmarc chucks. There isn't a better made chuck. However, a Vicmarc won't do anything a Record Power won't do. Nor will it do it better. It's just nicer, without really producing any additional utility. Also in the premium chuck world is the Easy Chuck from Easy Wood Tools. It's made in the USA and it has quick replaceable jaws.

Here's my suggestion: Don't buy a chuck yet. Chuck's are great. I have several and I love using them. However, there's nothing that we turn today that could not have been turned before chucks became available. So my suggestion is to learn how to use a faceplate (and the other traditional methods of mounting a blank on the lathe). Bowls can be turned without chucks. So can boxes. In fact, the traditional methods might be BETTER than using a chuck -- just not as fast. Once you've learned the traditional methods, then buy a chuck (or two). I really wish I'd learned that way. There are times that trying to use a chuck takes more time and effort than the traditional method.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I bought a Vicmarc as my first chuck so I can't comment on the others. A chuck is an investment. Once you pick a brand you are going to end up with jaws that fit it. Over time you will get a collection and if you really get into turning you may even buy a second chuck to reduce the time spent swapping jaws. Or you might want two different sized chucks. So look at what accessories are available. Most have similar options but might be just different enough to make a difference. I want with the Vicmarc (120 I think) because I didn't want something 10 or 20 years from now that would no longer hold a piece securely. I felt from those who praise it that the Vicmarc was the best bet. But I have been known to buy premium stuff when I really didn't need it.

I turn mostly smaller things and have the Nova G3 with several sets of jaws. They work great and reasonably priced.

I have one each supernova2 and titan chucks from Nova, and a vicmarc vm120. The Vic has nicer jaws and operates flawlessly. But it's a big chuck, as is the titan which is also very nice. The SN2 is a good balance in size. Small enough for smaller lathes yet big enough for some pretty large projects. Hard to go wrong with any from vicmarc, oneway, nova, record. I would suggest get one of these brands that is the best buy and stick with the brand so that the jaws are interchangeable.

I would also only buy ones with a grub screw for running in reverse. My vic does not (direct thread) and I have to watch it or it'll spin off while sanding in reverse.

I have owned Nova and OneWay chucks, and currently only have Vicmarcs. All of the chucks I've owned held a piece of wood and I never had a failure or piece come off one due to an inherent issue with the chuck. I finally settled on Vicmarc for a couple of reasons. First, I HATE the chuck key on the OneWay and Nova chucks. It just plain annoys me trying to get the key in place. Since turning is suppose to be relaxing, I eliminate as many annoying things as I can from the process. I also like that the Vicmarcs can also use a standard allen wrench. I find this useful when I turn a recess inside a dry, but unfinished, bowl blank and mount it by expanding the chuck inside the recess inside the bowl. Sometimes the bowl is deep enough that it gets in the way of a long chuck key. I do prefer dovetail jaws, those are available for most chucks. I would suggest putting hands on as many different types of chucks as possible, as you may find one just works better for you.

I'll also echo what David said. You can do an awful lot of work without using a chuck. I've take classes several times from David Ellsworth, and unless he's changed his methods he uses a lot of face plates. Also my last weekend with him I was working on hollow forms and used nothing but a face plate and then a glue block while hollowing.

Every time this sort of thing comes up, I always have to put in a pitch for the Hurricane chuck line. I have several, use the heck out of them and they have held up very well. And they are cheaper.

I started with a Oneway Talon and hated the key they use (it never seemed to fit right or turn smooth). I later bought a SuperNova2 chuck and love it (I've since bought 5 more SN2s and 1 Nova Titan) and in the 2 years I've been using Novas, I've never had an issue and I think they are the best bang for the buck.

I usually buy from toolsplus.com (https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-23099.html) and for $177you get the SN2 with a lot of accessories. That's the best price I've been able to find.

Tom

One possible consideration -- Nova jaws fit on any Nova chuck. I regularly use both G3s and Supernova. They work fine, although the toothed key for the G3 can be quite annoying. The SN2 uses a hex key. I would advise the SN2 over the G3, unless you have a small (mini) lathe.

I also have a Oneway Stronghold -- it's great and has been through over 10 years of heavy use. I have no problem with the chuck key. Oneway jaws, however, are specific to a given chuck -- Stronghold jaws work only on the Stronghold. Other Oneway chucks require their own jaws. I have little experience with other chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    I have a Nova Lathe 1624 with a 1-1/4”-8 spindle thread. While I’ve had the large for many years I’ve not turned much but I’m back into woodworking and I’d like to get a chuck for it. I’d like something that I could use for gripping some smaller square and round stock as well as use to learn on bowls and such.
    I’m ok with paying for good quality and prefer to spend more now rather than replacing a beginner chuck later.
    What are your recommendations for a good chuck?
    This question usually gets as many recommendations are there are chucks. Almost any will work.

I like chucks with all the jaws interchangeable. I started out with Nova and stuck with them. I have 20 now, just bought another. (I hate to change jaws and like to have several chucks with the same jaws.) I love the Supernova2 chucks and would recommend them.

The Nova keys for the Supernova are the worst in the business. The keys for the G3 are a little better. The hex keys for the Supernova2 and Titan are wonderful. I recommend cutting off the ball on the end - it's not needed and can cause certain problems.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    l. I recommend cutting off the ball on the end - it's not needed and can cause certain problems.

JKJ
    +1 to this. After your suggestion I did just that. It's also a standard hex key size so in the event that you lose it, no problem. Unlike the G3. I lost my key so I HAD to buy another one since the key costs a lot... I'm not up to JKJ's quantity though. I think I only have 7 Nova chucks. As mentioned, all the modern Nova jaws fit all the chucks. I think the really old ones may not.

To repeat what many have said, any of the brand name chucks above will serve a lifetime. Can't go wrong with any of them. By this I mean don't cheap out and try to save money on a no name brand.
    I have bought 2 chucks that are not named above and am not happy with them.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your feedback. I have read and reviewed each of the posts and chucks.
    The good news is it looks like there are a number of good quality wood lathe chucks on the market.
    Since my lathe is a Nova lathe and there are good reviews of the Nova chucks including the universal jaws for the Nova chucks the Supernova 2 looks like a great option and appears economical.
    The other chuck that has my attention is the Easy Chuck. The cost appears high but in terms of some woodworking equipment isn't a crazy cost.

The question I have is why would anyone own so many chucks outside of a production shop with many lathes and turners?

My reasoning on the Easy Chuck is that I could quickly change jaws without buying and/or switching chucks. This seems to pay for itself without needing to buy another chuck and jaws due to the task of changing jaws.
    I'm new to using chucks so there is likely a logical reason.

FWIW - I have had this lathe for over 20 years and used the faceplate and centers and such. Most of the turnings I've done were years ago but I'm not completely new to turning. However, I haven't used it much in a number of years due to life's priorities. Now that I'm a bit older I'm getting back to woodworking and really am enjoying it. While I'm not a complete newbie to turning, I am still a novice in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post

The question I have is why would anyone own so many chucks outside of a production shop with many lathes and turners?

My reasoning on the Easy Chuck is that I could quickly change jaws without buying and/or switching chucks. This seems to pay for itself without needing to buy another chuck and jaws due to the task of changing jaws.
    I'm new to using chucks so there is likely a logical reason.

One of the reasons to have more than one chuck, rather than using quick change jaws, is that it can be very difficult to remount something back into the chuck without the center moving. Sometimes that's not a concern. Other times, it can be a big concern. For example, say you're making a lidded box and have just fit the lid. Say you need to remove the box from the chuck (to work on another project or for some other reason) and, when you remount the box, the center has shifted ever so slightly. Even if the center shifted only 1/64", that might require you to turn your tenon down (as much as) an additional 1/32". Your perfect fitting lid just became sloppy. So, many of us simply keep the project mounted in the chuck until we're finished with the project. (I probably have at least three projects in various stages of completion, all mounted to a chuck or faceplate, right now.)

Depending on what you turn and how your work flows, this may or may not be an issue for you. It would be for me.

You'll be happy with whichever 'name brand' chuck you settle on. The Nova chucks are fine. I think the Record Power is just a little nicer in terms of fit and finish, but it's not a big deal. If you do go with Nova, note that the Record Power and Sorby Patriot chuck jaws fit the Nova chucks and vice versa.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona