Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a thin kerf combination blade

Help me choose a thin kerf combination blade

I've been using a Craftsman table saw for the last 50 years. It is under powered and has difficulty cutting thicker hardwoods. If I use thin kerf blades the saw will do the job. I use a Freud thin kerf ripping blade and a Freud thin kerf combination blade. It's time to get a new thin kerf combination blade. Are there other blades to consider or should I just stick with Freud?

I use the freud Fusion 40 tooth for just about everything.
    Charlie Jones

I've tried several and find the Freud consistently does the best job.

I think a quality sharpening service is more important as long as you pick any reasonable brand to start with. I use burnstools.com, and the blades come back from sharpening way better than new.

Over the years I've tried most of them. I use Forrest

The Freud fusion is great, and comes up for sale on the zon for ~$79. Can’t argue with that price. Forrest blades are wonderful performers but will be more $. I use both, like both, and recommend either one. Forrest also has a great sharpening service so that’s another plus.

I’ve used them all too. Forrest brings up the rear in terms of cut quality for what I use. Namely, mahogany, poplar, melamine, and usually walnut veneer ply.

The cut is not bad, it’s simply not as good as the other premium blades from Ridge, Infinity, or the Freud Fuison. I also think my Oldham Wizard Elite is about as good.

Like William said, on sale, I don’t think you’ll find a better value than a tk Fusion.

Blog Entries
    I am not disputing what has been said, but I have had one of these for over 10 years and it has never needed to be sharpened. Of course it has never seen nail.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/article...d-medal-blade/

have had one of these for over 10 years and it has never needed to be sharpened.

Ten years of cuts is an awful long time to go without sharpening . But I suppose it boils down to how much and what you cut. If you've only run a 1000' of pine in ten years , than sure.

That kmart blade I bought 20 years ago doesn't need sharpening either.

The linked blade is from a quality manuf. , but they don't have some magic carbide -or- design that allows their blades to go appreciably longer between sharpenings than any other quality make.

Blog Entries
    I have cut plywood as well as oak, maple, mesquite, . . .
    It is a good blade. I do not mistreat it. You normally get what you pay for.

I'll take your opinion Mr. Holmes, however I set aside just about everything WW says until I get crystal clear information on who paid for what he's reviewing. His bia$es tend to be pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I am not disputing what has been said, but I have had one of these for over 10 years and it has never needed to be sharpened. Of course it has never seen nail.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/article...d-medal-blade/

When I decided to switch my PCS 1.75 hp to thin kerf blades, I bought a Freud Fusion and this one: https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Thin-Co...ag=googhydr-20. Actually I think I bought the linked one after making a couple cuts with the Fusion and being a big disappointed with the quality of cut, in some pine. But I left it on and I think it is a good blade. But I bought it originally because it was cheaper than the linked blade. Now it is more and I would probably go with the linked 50 tooth. I've used 50 tooth combination blades like the linked one in both full kerf and thin kerf and they have consistently given me good service. I also have a thin kerf ripping blade with 24 teeth (Freud) but left the Fusion on last time I needed to rip 3 inches in softwood and it did great. So my bottom line on the fusion is I think it's a good blade but it seems to occasionally leave fuzzy surface for me in softwood. I don't think I'd spend $20 more to get it over the 50 tooth combination, however.

Blog Entries
    I buy new and pay the cost. My tools are 20 years or more old and still performing well.

I've used Freud thin-kerfs on my jobsite tools and no complaints with them though I generally don't suggest thin-kerfs for stationary table saws.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Yes sir, I'm sure you do. I refer to the WW, the author of the review you posted. He most certainly does not pay for a lot of the tools he reviews, uses, "loves", etc. His opinions should be met with a healthy skepticism until he is crystal clear with his financial interests.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I buy new and pay the cost. My tools are 20 years or more old and still performing well.