Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a thin kerf combination blade

Just to second Lowell's recommendation. I have two Tenryu Gold thin kerf combo blades, one of which is nearly always on my PM66. It rips and crosscuts the hard maple, cherry, walnut and oak I frequently use and does an adequate+ job on cabinet grade plywood with a ZCI [not as good as a dedicated plywood blade though]. Cheaper than a WWII which I also have and rarely use. I use the Tenryu for straight from the saw glue up applications with out jointing the sawn edge and it performs admirably well. Dynamic did a fine job of sharpening one of them last year IIRC. As an aside, keeping your blade clean and free of sap and pitch goes a long way in cut quality.

Freud premier fusion. It's awesome and it's affordable.

I strongly suggest Ridge Carbide in New Jersey. Their sharpening service is great and their blades are beyond excellent. I have also tried various blades, including Freud and Forrest - they are not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    When I decided to switch my PCS 1.75 hp to thin kerf blades, I bought a Freud Fusion and this one: https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Thin-Co...ag=googhydr-20. Actually I think I bought the linked one after making a couple cuts with the Fusion and being a big disappointed with the quality of cut, in some pine. But I left it on and I think it is a good blade. But I bought it originally because it was cheaper than the linked blade. Now it is more and I would probably go with the linked 50 tooth. I've used 50 tooth combination blades like the linked one in both full kerf and thin kerf and they have consistently given me good service. I also have a thin kerf ripping blade with 24 teeth (Freud) but left the Fusion on last time I needed to rip 3 inches in softwood and it did great. So my bottom line on the fusion is I think it's a good blade but it seems to occasionally leave fuzzy surface for me in softwood. I don't think I'd spend $20 more to get it over the 50 tooth combination, however.
    Are you saying the 50t produced a better cut ripping 3” material ?

I know different blades perform differently on various machines in diff. material, but I’m quite surprised by this.