Thread: Finish for kid’s desk

Finish for kid’s desk

I’m making a simple desktop for my kids to do online school. They’re 6 & 7, so won’t destroy it like a toddler might, but the finish needs to be durable. For instance, surely they will put a single piece of paper on it and write in pen, which would leave indentations on some finishes.

So I’m looking for a durable finish, any suggestions?

I can brush, wipe, or spray (hvlp).

Indentations from writing are more about the underlying wood, honestly. For a wipe on, use an oil based product of your choice. For spraying, use a waterborne product of your choice. Do a few extra coats AND let the finishes fully cure. That can be a couple of weeks for many finishes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That’s some pretty general advice, though appreciated. What about epoxy? Or a Target product? I was leaning toward spraying EM8000, but have never used Target coatings before. Do I need the cross linker? Spray it directly on wood - no sealer or anything? The top will be about 8’ x 24”, so I’d rather spray (outside as I don’t have a spray booth or anything yet).
    Thanks Jim. Just looking for more direction.

Formica or phenolic plywood would be a better choice if you expect them to write directly on the top. If it has to be wood, I recommend you use an epoxy sealer to harden the wood, something like this: http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/Cart/ You can apply any topcoat you want on top. EM8000 + crosslinker would work well.

John

John, I looked through the Smith products. There are many different types and no product information describing what each does. What specific product would you recommend? Thanks

My apologies for not providing specific recommendations. I am, in fact, a fan of EM8000cv. If you want it even beefier, the cross linker adds additional chemical resiliency. I wouldn't consider epoxy for this kind of application, personally. If you go oil based...Waterlox, despite the heavy, heavy odor during application, is something I like for the very, very rare situation that I use an oil based product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    John, I looked through the Smith products. There are many different types and no product information describing what each does. What specific product would you recommend? Thanks
    Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer, in whichever temp. range is best. Here's more info. on it: http://www.smithandcompany.org/CPES/index.html

John