Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makita Track/Plunge Saw

Blog Entries

Makita Track/Plunge Saw

About to pull trigger. Trying to decide between corded or cordless. My thoughts are if you are going to have a vacuum hose attached anyway, is having a cordless system necessary? Will be used in shop 99% of the time and other 1% probably around house somewhere. Also, from what I see online, Makita keeps a pretty tight reign on the prices. Anyone have a fav source for buying such? The best deal I have found is no sales tax and free shipping (saves almost 7%). Makita is also offering a free 39" track. Not sure what it is really good for as far as sheet goods, maybe good for lumber, so will buy a 55" also and connect.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

i have the corded version and am very happy with it. I'm really pleased with the dust collection. The Dewalt track clamps are excellent too. Cannot comment on the cordless version but if it is similar to the difference between a corded drill and a cordless one I would not stick with the cord.

Yeah, a tool with a vacuum hose gains nothing by battery power. Well, it does gain cost, and gives you yet another charger cluttering the shop.

I would opt for corded unless there was a good reason that corless/battery power would be an advantage to you for what you plan to use the tool for. I cannot think of even a single instance when having battery power on my track saw would have benefitted me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Vote for corded as well.

To me the Makita has two annoying flaws - the electrical cord is on the wrong side and the dust collection hose always twists downwards getting in the way by catching on the piece you're working on.

Both are easily fixed with a zip tie and small screw with a dab of epoxy.

Here's a handy little conversion decal you can order as well as the Makita is in metric: http://makeeverythingshop.com/store/makita-track-saw-conversion-chart-sticker

If there's not much difference in price, I would go cordless. That's assuming that you will probably only break down 3 or 4 sheets at a time. I have no idea what the battery life is like, but I assume this wouldn't be an issue.

I like the idea of cordless as it allows you to have a saw that you can use anywhere, so it offers a little more versatility.

As you've stated, get that second track so you can rip full length on a sheet.

I've had my Festool track saw for10+ years, it's a great setup, as I believe the Makita is.

I have one of these that I use a lot with my track saw

https://www.toolnut.com/insta-railsq...waAilXEALw_wcB

We have the corded as well. While we use a good bit of cordless in the shop I am a corded man wherever possible. Batteries are handy when they are essential but there is no comparison to power and non-stop usage of a cord.

I have some similar gripes about the Makita as Dean. The cord management could be better but honestly when your breaking down sheets or anything large a cord and a hose are always going to be a bit of a chore. If you can setup a sawing station and hang the hose with a good bit of drape that would be your best bet but we are always fussing with the hose dragging over the edge of the work and so on. I honestly reach for it the most for the dust pickup. If I have to saw anything I use it first just to keep the dust off the floor.

We bought ours from CPO because I have no problem with factory reconditioned. Saved us a boat load. More often than not your getting a tool that someone returned for a cheaper price, different item, and was likely never even plugged in.

Blog Entries
    The cordless takes a thin kerf blade. Ive heard complaints.

I have the corded and would buy another

Like Mark I initially bought a factory reconditioned from CPO but unfortunately it was a disaster (as was the reconditioned hammer drill and jigsaw from them, after that I stopped). I returned it and bought another new from Amazon a few years ago for $280. Looks like they've gone up. 55in rail was $73. I would love that shorter 39" rail for cross cutting the ends off of tables.

Blog Entries
    Another corded user. Like you I use it primarily in the shop or just outside. With the vac hose connected the cordless option becomes moot unless you are on the job site and have no convenient power. Plus, no batteries to buy . . . ever.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had the corded Makita and it was a great saw, very quite too.

Blog Entries
    I have decided to go with the corded version. What are ya'lls thoughts on off brand tracks such as Powetec? https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7138...ct_top?ie=UTF8 A good bit cheaper but worried about the quality. Actually for 2 55" tracks and connectors from AMZ is $193 vs Powertec at $127

Blog Entries
    Additionally, the 39" rail doesn't come free with the corded saw. I was thinking I just need to spend a few dollars more and have two 55" rails vs 1 - 55" and 1 - 39". Thoughts?

If you are using in shop 99% of time I would buy 1 55" and 1 longer if Makita makes. You will also need the connectors. 2 55" at a minimum will allow for crosscuts and rips on 8' stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    I have decided to go with the corded version. What are ya'lls thoughts on off brand tracks such as Powetec? https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7138...ct_top?ie=UTF8 A good bit cheaper but worried about the quality. Actually for 2 55" tracks and connectors from AMZ is $193 vs Powertec at $127
    One of the unique things the Makita does is lock to the rail during bevel cuts. I would not want to give up that feature for a few bucks if the Powertec rails aren't complaint.

GCS-Cleats (2).jpg

I have some other items from Powertec and they are of good quality.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-20-2020 at 9:21 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler