Thread: Grizzly Phase Converter question

Grizzly Phase Converter question

Hello All,

I just bought an older (Made in 85) Unisaw with 5HP 3PH motor at an auction for a good price. Has anyone used the Grizzly G5843 3-7hp static phase converter? Would this be a good match for the saw? I'm assuming a TS requires a low start up load, relatively speaking. Are there any other good or better value priced option out there?

Thanks in advance
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Ben, there are lots of threads here about phase converters, so a search of the archives will be very informative.

Static phase converters typically won't let your saw develop full power. You're better off with a Phase Perfect, rotary phase converter of a variable frequency drive.

Best of success to you.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Darrah View Post
    Hello All,

I just bought an older (Made in 85) Unisaw with 5HP 3PH motor at an auction for a good price. Has anyone used the Grizzly G5843 3-7hp static phase converter? Would this be a good match for the saw? I'm assuming a TS requires a low start up load, relatively speaking. Are there any other good or better value priced option out there?

Thanks in advance
    I have been using that same static phase converter on my Unisaw for years. It works great and I have never noticed the drop in power. While it is true that you loose a 1/3 of your horse power with a static phase converter, on a 5HP saw you will still be good to go unless you are doing a whole lot of heavy ripping on like 4” thick tropical hardwoods LoL.

Thanks, did some other research and ordered it.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

At $300 for the SPC, I’d buy a VFD. You can run a nice TECO 3hp $200 VFD and have the same HP, and have some nice controls for blade brake and acceleration.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 08-26-2020 at 9:27 PM.

All a static converter does is start a 3Ø motor, then it is being single phased+, not a good thing. RPC, or a VFD, are better choices.