Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot Stanley

Menard's ( Green BORG) has switched from Stanley over to Craftsman.....the Stanley and Great Neck planes have been replaced by "Record-Irwins-Marples"....about the same as a Lowes "Kobalt" plane....junk.

1/2 the weight of the Menard's "Record No. 4" plane..is the THICK coat of BLUE paint....

I find it hard to believe this plane can't be made to work. It's a blade, chip-breaker and blade holder. Sure the old Stanleys and records and fullers on and on are better made but the same principles apply to setting them up to work. Get this to work before you return it and you'll have learned something and you'll be better prepared to clean up an old plane to make it work. You should be able to get 2 or 3 for what you paid for this. Used to be you could get 10. Those days are gone.

Menard's "Record" No. 4 is just about $20, or so...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Menard's "Record" No. 4 is just about $20, or so...
    Does this imply the solution for an inexpensive plane that is not working is to rush out and buy another cheap plane with, "1/2 the weight of the Menard's "Record No. 4" plane..is the THICK coat of BLUE paint.... "?

It also appears the nearest Menard's is over fifty miles from Upton… That is if you are a flying crow.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just a heads up for those that ARE near enough to go TO a Menard's.....nothing more....yes I even thought about buying it....until I READ Paul Sellers review of the same plane in his BLOG....and, even Sellers failed to get it to act like a plane should, BTW.

(must be a big crow? Pass the salt?))
    Last edited by steven c newman; 08-26-2020 at 2:12 PM. Reason: serving up Crow for supper?

Now I want to buy one :-)

To get true Baltic Birch Ply I have to order it from Menards. and for me that means a trip to Clarksville in Indiana, about 80 miles. Nonetheless, I much prefer Menards over the other two.
    Much to my delight there is a new Menards under construction 17 miles away in Elizabethtown, it is the first one in the area.
    In another vein, I ended up buying a Jack off of the classifieds right here that is purported to be in excellent condition, and appears so. I should have it in three or four days.

Its relatively easy to find a pre WW2 Stanley for less than what you paid...Generally, they will perform well for less $...Just my experience.
    Jerry

Not helpful this point! Just sayin...
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Schmidt View Post
    Not helpful this point! Just sayin...
    Ok, now I'm confused. Lots of help was given
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Note: So far this year...have bought a Sargent No. 414c ($40) and Craftsman ( Sargent) No. 414 ($45).....and a Millers Falls No. 15 (stanley no. 5-1/2 size) for also about $45 or so....

There was also a Stanley No. 3, Type 11 picked at a garage sale...$5....just needed a new lever cap. Also a No. 4 sized smooth plane ($15, but needed tuned up..meh)

Next weekend, I will be going back to the Tractor Fest @ West Liberty, OH. I usually find a plane, or three, there. Last year, it was a Stanley No. 6...$15.
    Not once did I use that "auction site" other than a part I needed..for a Stanley No. 71-1/2 Router plane.

It is not that hard to do, really.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 08-28-2020 at 4:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Ok, now I'm confused. Lots of help was given
    Think he already bought a vintage Stanley iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Think he already bought a vintage Stanley iirc.

Well, we should then just close every thread when the OP is done.

Just sayin'
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I am starting to realize how collecting and restoring and researching these planes could become addictive. OMG!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwin Heil View Post
    I am starting to realize how collecting and restoring and researching these planes could become addictive. OMG!!
    So much so, working wood may be forgotten.

ken