Thread: Need help adjusting the trunnions on my General International Hybrid table saw

Need help adjusting the trunnions on my General International Hybrid table saw

P1050194.jpgP1050198.jpgP1050231.JPGP1050219.JPGI need to perform adjustments to my table saw trunnions to fix both 90 deg and 45 deg outages. The saw is a General International hybrid with left tilt, model 50-220M1. It has a cabinet but the trunnions are bolted to the table not the cabinet. Unfortunately this makes access to the trunnion bolts very difficult.
    I have measured .005” runout over aprox. 8 inches of length with the bladed in the 90 deg position and .015” runout over aprox. 8 inches of length in the 45 deg bevel position, both run-outs are wider at the back than the front (distance from right miter slot).
    The adjustment to fix the 90deg measure is manageable however the adjustment to fix the 45deg position will be a big access challenge. Before fixing (shimming) the 45 deg outage I do plan on re-measuring it after I fix the 90 deg position.
    Questions:

1. Does anyone have suggested torque settings for bolting the trunnion to the table?
    2. Also, I see the trunnions have three bolts each, the third being a center bolt. Is the 3rd just for stability or does it somehow aid in adjustments, opinions?
    3. Has anyone ever done a 45 deg blade adjustment (shimming) on a contractor or preferable a highbred saw? If so, any suggestions?
    4. For the 45 deg adjustment (shimming) I assume I will need to loosen all bolts to make room for the shims and not stress an unbolted trunnion, opinions?
    5. To minimize trial and error on the 45 shim fix, my rough calculation is .028 for a shim, this is based on the measured .015 over 8 inches extended over the distance between trunnions (15”), thoughts or opinions on the calculation?
    Last edited by Benjimin Young; 08-28-2020 at 3:42 PM. Reason: wanted to turn on notification

All fixed and back to normal. .002 at both 90 deg and 45 deg. It took most of my Sat and probably an appointment with a physiotherapist but it is done. The 50-220M1 has an interesting quip, the blade tilt lock will move the blade by .005 when the blade is in the 45 deg position so I adjusted my saw to be .002 when the title lock is on for 45 deg bevels.