Thread: Vaulted Hip Bead-Board Ceiling?

Vaulted Hip Bead-Board Ceiling?

Another porch question for you all!

Our porch is going to have a Hip roof. To maintain as much ceiling height as possible, we’re looking to match the contour of the Hip and keep the ceiling vaulted.

I’m thinking keeping the joints tight enough will be damn near impossible (using a PVC beadboard product...). Any thoughts on what kind of trim I could use to cover the joints? Or is there another technique that I’m missing here?

Like this? This is just car siding, each stick makes two of the beads. I prefer real wood for this because it needs to have enough long term rigidity to not sag, and in my experience there is no PVC product that won't sag on 24" OC. This old roof/ceiling had some "character" curves in it, so the boards also allow a running adjustment at the miters. I caulked the miter, and was going to put a piece of trim over it but the customer wanted if left like this. BTW, the roll off was delayed weeks getting to this site, so the pile of demo in the background looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Like this? This is just car siding, each stick makes two of the beads. I prefer real wood for this because it needs to have enough long term rigidity to not sag, and in my experience there is no PVC product that won't sag on 24" OC. This old roof/ceiling had some "character" curves in it, so the boards also allow a running adjustment at the miters. I caulked the miter, and was going to put a piece of trim over it but the customer wanted if left like this. BTW, the roll off was delayed weeks getting to this site, so the pile of demo in the background looks awful.

That’s exactly what I meant. I’ll be padding the joists with 2x4’s to bring the rafters into plane with the hip, then I’ll be strapping 12”OC.

Perhaps I’ll take a page from your book and just leave the miters? I wonder if I could get away with a good caulk to accommodate any expansion/contraction of the PVC?

If not: what trim profile would you recommend (if any) to cover the miter?

I ended up just using come colored caulk and no ones complained. It's been there for several years now. I was going to use some pine screen moulding. If you do it with PVC, you'll definitely get more seasonal expansion. You could try the caulk and if it opens, nail a trim up? I Like DAP Dynaflex 230 for stuff like this.