Thread: Modern 78?

Modern 78?

I have been watching the bay and some other websites, but finding an intact Stanley 78 at an average price is rare. So many of these things are missing pieces or have the nose snapped off and they are asking $50 or more.

I see Stanley still offers a version of the 78, and can be had for about $60. I know to stay away from most new planes, but is there anything about this one that could be that bad? Is it worth the chance?

Hi Jason,

I cannot comment on the modern 78s. (I guess there is nothing wrong with the newer ones, but based on my “rabbet” hole research, I stayed away from them. I don’t mind putting effort into getting an older one to work well, but putting the same or more into a new tool just does not appeal to me.) Unlike some on this site, where I live in Florida hand tools are relatively rare. The ones I do stumble across in the wild are usually better as boat anchors or door props. All that is to say, after a good bit of auction site leering and running into the same problems you mentioned, I recently purchased a Record 078 from Ed Lebetkin (edlebetkin@gmail.com). He sells good tools at decent prices. Not always the cheapest, but you can be sure that what he sells is in good working order. I would say paying a few dollars more to know a tool is correct will work is worth more than trying find one in the auction site that may turn out to be a mystery tool. Just my thoughts and they are worth less 2 cents.

Patrick Leach offered a ca. 1930 #78 for $95 in his August tool list:

"#78 duplex rabbet; probably unused model from ca.1930 with
    sweetheart logo on iron; original box, the envelope for the
    small parts still has all those in it; minor tarnish from
    sitting, it can be honed and used as is"

You would need to get on his mailing list to see it. It's free. Email him at leach@supertool.com

If you get on the August list, it was Item ST6.

I expect his September list to come out soon.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 09-01-2020 at 12:54 AM.

Mine was made by Stanley, and sold by Montgomery Wards....iron is stamped as Master Quality. Came complete (other than..no box) and cost $16....
    Millers Falls also made their version of the #78, as did Sargent.

Widen your search pattern just a bit....and sometimes, a seller will have added an "extra" iron....thinking it needed 2 irons....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Best View Post
    Hi Jason,

I cannot comment on the modern 78s. (I guess there is nothing wrong with the newer ones, but based on my “rabbet” hole research, I stayed away from them. I don’t mind putting effort into getting an older one to work well, but putting the same or more into a new tool just does not appeal to me.) Unlike some on this site, where I live in Florida hand tools are relatively rare. The ones I do stumble across in the wild are usually better as boat anchors or door props. All that is to say, after a good bit of auction site leering and running into the same problems you mentioned, I recently purchased a Record 078 from Ed Lebetkin (edlebetkin@gmail.com). He sells good tools at decent prices. Not always the cheapest, but you can be sure that what he sells is in good working order. I would say paying a few dollars more to know a tool is correct will work is worth more than trying find one in the auction site that may turn out to be a mystery tool. Just my thoughts and they are worth less 2 cents.

No, your thoughts are worth more than 2 cents to me. I guess it is more important to me to have a complete plane than it is to spend time tuning a new one. I just didn't know if anyone has tried the new ones and if there was a fatal flaw to them or if work they can be a decent tool. I'm not expecting the quality of vintage, but I do want to be able to make rabbets fairly easily with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Patrick Leach offered a ca. 1930 #78 for $95 in his August tool list:

"#78 duplex rabbet; probably unused model from ca.1930 with
    sweetheart logo on iron; original box, the envelope for the
    small parts still has all those in it; minor tarnish from
    sitting, it can be honed and used as is"

You would need to get on his mailing list to see it. It's free. Email him at leach@supertool.com

If you get on the August list, it was Item ST6.

I expect his September list to come out soon.
    Thank you! I requested a list

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Mine was made by Stanley, and sold by Montgomery Wards....iron is stamped as Master Quality. Came complete (other than..no box) and cost $16....
    Millers Falls also made their version of the #78, as did Sargent.

Widen your search pattern just a bit....and sometimes, a seller will have added an "extra" iron....thinking it needed 2 irons....
    Thanks Steven! I didn't think to check other manufacturers. I will look into it!

I've bought three of the modern Stanley #5s, and they all went back. One showed up with a broken tote. One was somewhat out of flat, and I spent hours lapping it only to find out that the frog was also miscast, and it was fit only for the scrap heap. The third had sole curvature that would've been perfect if I felt like planing bananas. If I were you, and I wanted to order a modern 78, I'd make sure to get it from somewhere that had a no-hassle return policy.

September list is out; no #78s on it.

Yes the vintage 78's are usually missing the fence or horizontal guide...Unusual to find one complete...
    Still, I prefer the older ones..Just me and my respect for the older tools.
    Jerry