Thread: Weighting a Dovetail Saw

Weighting a Dovetail Saw

Recently purchased a dovetail saw (pistol grip) that has plastic (not brass) as its "backbone" and would like to add weight. Would appreciate any ideas on how to accomplish that if any one has tried successfully.

Additionally is sharpening a 20 tpi dovetail saw blade doable or should it be considered a throw away item?

Appreciate your response.

You might try adhesive backed lead tape. Not sure how it will work but I know some golfers use it to fine tune their clubs.

I'll defer to the saw gurus on the feasibility of sharpening a 20 TPI saw. My skill and eyes are suited to something much coarser than that. Good luck.

Can't give you any suggestions on how to add weight but 20 tpi saws can certainly be sharpened. As long as the teeth have not been induction hardened as many Japanese Douzki saws do.

Lie Nielsen used to sell a progressive dovetail saw and the fine part of the saw was probably 20 tpi. I have one of the LN progressive dovetail saws and sent it to them to be sharpened. No problems.

Rob Crosman still sells a progressive saw like that.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-15-2020 at 1:40 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You could purchase a folded brass back and toss the plastic one.

Check the filing on the teeth. A more aggressive filing can make a lot of difference.

Golf supply shops should have lead tape.

If it's a Modern saw, experiment with the height of the piece you're cutting. A little lower in the vise will let the blade follow gravity.

A little higher will take a lighter cut.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 09-15-2020 at 2:50 PM. Reason: my tablet prefers "g" to "h"

My brass backed Gent saws are 20ppi rip. If it is a reasonably good steel, use a 2nd cut needle file and good magnifiers to file them. Use a light touch. The 0.015" files away quickly. Nothing wrong with the light weight backs. They have their pros and cons like any other saw. Make the rake your standard 6* and they should want to dig in by themselves. As always just Dykm, joint, shape. Dykm, joint, set, sharpen.