Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyers remorse?

Buyers remorse?

Hi,

Thanks to all for your input on my previous Jigsaw/drill questions.

I recently was trying to decide between a Bosch 1591 and the Festool Trion, after getting good advice here and from freinds I purchased the Bosch. The Festool was more compact and just felt better in my hands than the Bosch but the Bosch was still much more ergonomic than my old jigsaw (B&D4200 Quantam 3.5a, made in England), plus the Bosch had a blower which I wanted and better blade visibility with the anti-chip insert. Most of this is just "stuff on paper" so I took it to some 2x wood clamped to my MFT and yes it made an almost 90 degree cut (close enough for me!) in the 1-1/2" height and yes I only cut about 18" of wood but what struck me right away was the noise and vibration. You see I was expecting it to sound and feel like the $100 difference in cost from my B&D, but my old wavy B&D is quieter and smoother on any speed. Hard to believe and even harder to admit after parting with my hard earned cash.

But I've got it in perspective, it sure cuts better than the B&D so I should be thankful I can afford and enjoy a top quality tool and I get to spend the Holidays with my 2-1/2 year old son. Not all are so fortunate.

But as for the noise/vibration, could it be due to the much greater power of the Bosch? 6.4 amps versus 3.5? I'm going to use it more in the coming weeks on some pine and maple and see how it performs.

Pete

Congrats on your new "almost" purchase!!! ("Almost"????) Yeah, that's right! You may know you have it but, the rest of us REQUIRE pics for the real proof!!! Anyhow, hope you enjoy it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Photos coming in the morning!

Hmmm. Mnes quiet, vibration free.

But. The less teeth on the blade, makes it more agressive.
    What blade are you running?

Congrats! See if you can get pictures of the noise

Dave Fried

I finally broke down and bought a Bosch after years of putting it off because I really only 'need' one every now and again. I'm pretty disappointed in it...lots of vibration and 'grabby' no matter what I do with it. That said, it DOES make a 90 degree cut...

KC

Pete,

Just a thought, there are a few settings for the orbital action. If you have it set for the agressive mode it will be harsh. I've got the lower end version 1584 and it will run smooth on finer cuts.

FWIW,
    Wes

My 1591 is due to show up on 1/6/06. It's replacing a Craftsman scrolling jigsaw that I'm not really sure where it came from. It sort of showed up in my garage a decade ago and never left. Lucky me.

It's grabby on all settings...and using good (Bosch) blades.

Bosch Jigsaw

I have had two Bosch jigsaws and I have loved them. I do get some viberation from them but it is by far the best one I have used. I have had a couple of the down shear blades that really did some viberating because I wasn't holding the saw down tight enough, other than that I haven't had any problems with them.

I have had the Bosch for many years and it is a great machine with total control....their sanders and routers are also great!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Marshall
    I have had two Bosch jigsaws and I have loved them. I do get some viberation from them but it is by far the best one I have used. I have had a couple of the down shear blades that really did some viberating because I wasn't holding the saw down tight enough, other than that I haven't had any problems with them.
    II've gotta lean on mine so hard it makes me tired trying to keep it under control. Must be doing something wrong. I think I'm using Bosch Aggressor (?) blades...

Peter,

I am really surprised. I have had nothing but great results with mine for nearly a year now. Very quiet and smooth.

I have the Bosch too and it is a great jig saw but, it is extremely loud. I never forget to wear hearing protection with the Bosch...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have had the Bosch for many years and it is a great machine with total control....their sanders and routers are also great!
    Hi Mark

I think that might be part of the problem. I was reading through Pete's post and the rest of the thread, and thinking about how much better my Bosch jigsaw worked, and still works, over the very cheap Black and Decker that I used to own. But then it hit me, I bought that saw almost 20 years ago! It is old fashioned by today's standards - I have to use a screwdriver to change the blade, and an Allen wrench to change the shoe (which almost never happens), but it is as smooth as smooth can be for a jigsaw, in any of the orbiting modes or speeds at which I set it. I have some pretty aggressive blades for it too, ones that will allow it to cut almost as fast as a homeowner circular saw, and it does just fine. I think that things may have changed in the past 20 years. I also think I am getting to be crotchety.

Bill