Thread: Product Mini Review

Product Mini Review

Well I just finished upgrading my old Bridgewood dust collector BW-003A. I replaced the stock cloth bags with after market micron filters from Wynn Environmental M#35A100SBOL.
    To accomplish this was a bit of a chore as it was necessary due to the BW-003A design to reorient the internal deflectors; there were upside down and below the dust inlet. This required breaking about 20 welds on each deflector and gluing then back in properly for this new approach to work. Aside from that they slip right in place and clamp down with a few easy to install turnbuckles.
    I did a run on the before and after ducting losses using the calculator on Bills cyclone website and got the following results.
    Griggio Planer – Loss of 10.95 to 8.95
    SAC Jointer – loss of 13.12 to 11.12
    Knapp Profit-T Sliding TS/Shaper – Loss of 12.69 to 10.69.
    The observed results subjectively support these improved numbers. I notice cleaner air in my shop and a noticeable increase in the CFM at each station. For instance I note that I no longer get a few chips blowing out of the input side of the planer bed each time I feed a board; this is nice as they are a nuisance to always be clearing out of the way between feeding boards.
    The results would have been even better if I had opted for the cheaper paper/poly filter (more filter sf.) instead of the all poly filters; but I wanted to be able to wash the filters from time to time and only the poly would allow that.
    All in all an impressive improvement for less than $300; highly recommended.
    Attached are the before and after shots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did the same thing to my HF dust collector. I was amazed at the difference. I went with the paper/poly. They recommended that because I was a hobbiest and would not be using it most of the time just on weekends. The shop is cleaner. I like you highly recommend these filters. Can't go wrong.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Paul, not wishing to hijack the thread but curious about the use/ value of 'cyclone' lids to capture material between the source and dust collector.You've gone to fair expense to increase air flow and also reduce 'emissions'. Would a 'cyclone' lessen the amount of dust that ultimately gets to your air filter, cloging it and thereby reducing airflow??
    I haven't had any experience with them and know nothing about their effect on the overall system efficiency or effectiveness. I am considering replacing my dust filter bag with a pleated filter type as well.
    Interested in the views of those who know.
    Thx, Rick.

Paul, the after photo might be more convincing if there was actually more chips in the bags than outside of the bags. Sorry, I had to go with my first impression:-))

You poped the rivets, relocated and glued it back together. What type glue did you use?
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Paul, the after photo might be more convincing if there was actually more chips in the bags than outside of the bags. Sorry, I had to go with my first impression:-))

Yep Steve, it's a mess. The chips on the floor came from the upper bags when I attempted to empty them. Nice part of the new set-up is that will never happen again.

You poped the rivets, relocated and glued it back together. What type glue did you use?
    Polyuerethane glue, even sticks well to metal and it's cheaper than epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Thom
    Paul, not wishing to hijack the thread but curious about the use/ value of 'cyclone' lids to capture material between the source and dust collector.You've gone to fair expense to increase air flow and also reduce 'emissions'. Would a 'cyclone' lessen the amount of dust that ultimately gets to your air filter, cloging it and thereby reducing airflow??
    I haven't had any experience with them and know nothing about their effect on the overall system efficiency or effectiveness. I am considering replacing my dust filter bag with a pleated filter type as well.
    Interested in the views of those who know.
    Thx, Rick.
    Understand your concern Rick. This was the most economical route for me. A total upgrade to an <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1lace>Oneida</st1lace></st1:City> or similar would have been a lot more, and I'm not sure I have the ceiling clearance I would need to properly mount a cyclone.

Paul, I wasn't thinking of a full blown cyclone setup, but merely the garbage pail with a cyclone lid (ie. $40.) which sits between the source and your dust collector. It seems, according to the literature published, that these outfits can intercept a lot of what ends up in your collection bag, but maybe more importantly your filter.
    http://www.leevalley.com:80/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1
    No idea if these cyclone lid setups are any good or not.

8. You can get pre-made cyclones that fit between a 1 HP or larger standard dust collector. Oneida makes a few, including their model 650, and it runs about $297. There is also a vendor in New York who sells a unit that is installed on a trash can that runs $170. You can search under "cyclone separator" on that famous auction website.

Not sure this pic will work, but we'll try ...

There are also several sites on the Internet where individuals have built their own cyclone separators. I made one for my DeWalt 735 planer that used a plastic trash bin, 1" pipe insulation for the gasket for the top of it, some plywood and a furnace filter.

[quote=Rick Thom]Paul, I wasn't thinking of a full blown cyclone setup, but merely the garbage pail with a cyclone lid (ie. $40.) which sits between the source and your dust collector. It seems, according to the literature published, that these outfits can intercept a lot of what ends up in your collection bag, but maybe more importantly your filter.

Rick, recently had one. It nearly killed the capacity of my DC velocity. IMHO they are worthless. $35 bucks wasted.

There are also several sites on the Internet where individuals have built their own cyclone separators. I made one for my DeWalt 735 planer that used a plastic trash bin, 1" pipe insulation for the gasket for the top of it, some plywood and a furnace filter
    ></O>
    I agree, it is an interesting product.

The only thing that concerns me with the set-up is the use of the flexible duct to integrate it into the existing. Flexible seems to eat up DC velocity. If you use Bills calculator flexible really de-rates the values.<O></O>
    <O></O>
    My next step personally will be to hard pipe as many of my machines and remove the flexible wherever practical. <O></O>

Thanks Paul, good info for me. Contemplating a new filter similar to yours. From time to time I do a fair amount of planing and that sure fills up the bags in a hurry.

I too have the Wynn's conversion on my 2HP HF unit. It works very well for me.