Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sewing table plans

sewing table plans

I want to find out if anyone has any plans for, or knows where to get some for, a fairly fancy sewing table. I'm talking about one that has a sunken well for the machine and swing out doors to support an extension table, Would like to have a plan with a few draws and racks for the various thngs like parts, needles, threads, poppins, etc. The top is usually laminated plastic to provide a smooth surface for the cloth.

Commercial ones sell for hundreds and it's always a lot more fun to try to make one even if there are a few mistakes in our stuff.

Rockler has a plan and the lift mechanism. Their lift is excellent (but not cheap); I built one from my own design, but don't have detail plans.

www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=7

Be sure to use double pin hinges. The surface does not need to be plastic - in fact hardwood is probably smoother with fewer hard edges than laminate.

I agree with Charlie that the surface doesn't have to be laminate, athough that is an appropriate choice if if matches the decorative aspects of the sewing room. My mother's sewing table is all wood, for example.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with as I may build one sometime, too. Unfortunately, our machine was not designed to sit in a recess...it's a tabletop model. I guess we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking forward to ideas/plans in this thread. LOML was just talking about a sewing table project for me!

She's a quilter so we are exploring ways to do dropdown outfeed and left extension tables. Perhaps moble base, too.

Kinda sounds like a table saw setup, doesn't it!

John,

Try a Google images search. I usually stumble onto a lot of good ideas and history via these searches. I can then incorporate what I think is the best into my own design. Even if you start with a stock plan, most of the time it is easy to modify them to suit your needs/wants.

Wes

Sorry, no plans, but if you'd consider designing your own, here's photos of a sewing desk I built a few years ago. The owner had many requirements for the desk. Here's some of them:
    • Big desktop areas to the left, rear, and front. She wanted the cloth to mostly rest on the desk, not fall off the edges and drag itself away from her.
    • Stow the sewing machine invisibly inside the desk. I did this by flopping it backwards to stow under a hinged lid. You can see lead counterweights in the knee hole. She planned to use the desk as an ordinary desk when the sewing machine was stowed, and that precluded the use of the straight up-and-down lifts. (As it happened, she found that it was too much trouble to clear off the stuff which accumulates on a desk to convert it to a sewing station, so she later had me build her a regular desk, and this sewing desk only gets used for sewing.)
    • Allow two sewing heights. (Her machine has a free arm.) You can see the two positions in the photos. I used gas struts to help lift it to the upper position.
    • Support a serger. (A serger is a specialized sewing machine used for knit goods.) It stows in a drawer visible at the rear of the knee hole, and in operation sits on a pullout to the right.
    • Have an ironing board. She needs to be able to sew a seam, iron it, sew a seam, iron it, and so on. The ironing board folds up and stows in the upper left "drawer".
    • Store patterns. The lower right drawer is a file drawer.
    • Store lots of other stuff -- tools, materials, and such. Hence lots of drawers. There's even a little hinge-out drawer right in front of the users stomach. It uses a hinge intended for a drawer in front of a kitchen sink.
    • Power everything. There's a power strip in the well behind the sewing machine, and there's outlets at the front of the desk for the iron and the serger. There's only one power cord which needs to come out of the desk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-02-2006 at 12:52 PM.

That's a really cool design Jamie. Outstanding piece. I bet that my wife would love something like that to work with. Very cool. I also second the thought of designing your own.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

John - Can't help with the plans but, for the insert to make a freearm machine level with the top, check with your local sewing machine dealers. Look for a dealer that carries Horn cabinets and they can get just the insert specific to your make/model of machine (assuming it is a relatively late model machine).
    Steve

Wow, Jamie, that's really awesome...and versatile.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

well you guys all know that if you buy a new european sliding table saw that those companies provide very detailed plans for sewing tables.

lou

For a beginner woodworker

This topic has come up before: Has anyone built the mission style sewing cabinet from Rockler?
    In that thread I posted some pictures of a sewing table I built without a lift, but with a well for the machine (with an insert that allows it to be used on top of the table). I used prebuilt cabinets cut down to size. The top is a sandwhich of 1/2" mdf and 1/2" baltic birch plywood with maple edging. She has been using it for awhile and likes it quite a bit. The idea came from Dream Sewing Spaces by Lynette Ranney Black, which is a good book if you have a quilter in your life.

I built a similar cutting table which she started using before I could finish....
    Bb

Some design options you may wish to consider...

SWMBO is the proud owner of one of these Koala Cabinets for her quilting operation. It was quite expensive, and would probably be fun and challenging to make. This site http://www.koalacabinets.com/Koala.ivnu has links to some of their designs, and the manufacturer apparently has no website.

If you wish to get this sophisticated, you might want to visit a sewing center that carries these products for some ideas, as I believe they are a sigificant engineering success. There are some routed "tracks" for doors and panels to follow as they open/close, and other (possibly difficult) design details.

SWMBO's cabinet closes to 24" deep and 48" wide (tabletop height). Inside are the sewing machine, the serger, several locations for storing supplies and accessories, and ALL of the cabinet components. It opens to consume a space over 7 feet deep and 8 feet wide. It looks like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise!

FWIW I'm glad SWMBO "bought" hers. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Andy

Ironing Board in a Drawer

Jamie,

Can you give a source for the ironing board in a drawer?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall
    Jamie,

Can you give a source for the ironing board in a drawer?

Thanks.
    I got it from Hafele, but I think I've seen it at Rockler.

... yeah.. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=57

Andy Haney was talking about the Koala cabinets and I agree that they are very well designed. Here is another web site to take a look: http://icanhelpsew.com/koala_outbackplus.html

It is hard to tell what is what on line but like Andy said if you could find a dealer where you could see one live may be you could copy the design features that you like. You would save a bundle over buying one. To bad that you do not live around hear as you could come over and see it at my house.

Good Luck! Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 01-02-2006 at 11:47 PM.