Thread: Old Bahco Chisels

Old Bahco Chisels

I just acquired a set of old red handled Bahco chisels from an estate sale and was curious if anyone had any info about them.

These look identical to some red handled Berg chisels I've come across after doing some research. The only difference that I can see from the Berg chisels is that logo on the handle and the text on the blade has changed to say Bahco. I've read Berg chisels are very high quality and at some point they were bought out/merged with Bahco. Does anyone know if these would be of the same quality as the red handled Berg version? Or at least similar steel?

Either way I think they're pretty cool and I plan on putting them to use as my first set of chisels

First three images are of the bahco chisel. the last is a berg for comparison - image from http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/...hark-week.html

IMG_0174.jpgIMG_0175.jpgIMG_0176.jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-06 at 6.20.10 PM.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

The steel is excellent.

The slippery, unbreakable handles give me oif schpilkes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The steel is excellent.

The slippery, unbreakable handles give me oif schpilkes.
    I've read that some guys wrap slick plastic handles with the tape used on hockey sticks. I havent felt a need to do it with my Marples Blue Chips, but it's one way to address it.

Welcome to SMC Jordan! Glad to have you join us!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Hi Jordan and welcome to the Creek.

My first chisels were labeled Sandvik. Before being able to acquire a full set the name changed to Bacho. My understanding is most of these were pretty much the same good quality steel.

Over time sets of other brands of chisels have been acquired.

The three Sandvik chisels still get put to work at times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

OK,
    someone has to do this
    what is or are oif schpilkes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hutchison View Post
    OK,
    someone has to do this
    what is or are oif schpilkes?
    Like sitting on an anthill.

Thanks all for the welcome and info! I'm looking forward to putting these to use. I'm sure I'll be able to to tell within a few months if the plastic handles prove to be treacherous.

I seem to recall a photo in FWW of Garrett Hack's hanging tool chest sporting a set of Bahco chisels, complete with plastic handles. If they are good enough for him, they are probably good enough for most of us.