Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any use for a spoiled bandsaw blade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any use for a spoiled bandsaw blade?

Ok, I did something stupid and caused my 1/4” bandsaw blade to jump the tracks and bend the band and spoil a few teeth. I managed to flatten the band out but it’s still shot. 108 of the 111 inches are just fine. I wonder if I can convert the blade to a bunch of bowsaw blades? Anyone recycle a bandsaw blade?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Maybe silver soldier/weld/braze in a new section from another blade, even a worn/dull one. You could resharpen the teeth on the "patch".
    David

It’s toast and has already been replaced. I just hate to throw anything out.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Then maybe hang it on the wall next to the band saw as a reminder. I have done that with a few "mistakes" as well.
    David

There are rasps made in Japan that look like pieces of bandsaw blades. Never used one, but understand they do a nice job. I cut short sections and bend them into a V. Instead of buying those plastic standoffs, i rest work on the teeth for finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I cut short sections and bend them into a V. Instead of buying those plastic standoffs, i rest work on the teeth for finishing.
    I do the same.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Morse code key for boy scouts. cabinet scraper in a block with smooth side out.
    Bill D

Scraper blades, inserts for scratch stock ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The next time I need to replace a 1/2” x 8tpi, I’m going to make a nice big indexing plate. I will cut it to exactly 360 teeth (45”) and make a disk with a 45” circumference. I’m not sure what I will do with it but I bet it will come in handy.

A sandpaper cutter. That's what I plan to do with mine even though they're cheap to buy (or scissors).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hutton View Post
    A sandpaper cutter. That's what I plan to do with mine even though they're cheap to buy (or scissors).
    That reminds me. I used a section of bandsaw blade when I made a dispenser/cutter for a 36” craft paper roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hutton View Post
    A hacksaw blade is easier to use with the holes at ends. Hard to drill a bandsaw blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    There are rasps made in Japan that look like pieces of bandsaw blades. Never used one, but understand they do a nice job. I cut short sections and bend them into a V. Instead of buying those plastic standoffs, i rest work on the teeth for finishing.
    I love the finishing standoff idea.....now why didn’t I think of that!

Scratch stock.
    Mini scrapers.
    Marking knife?

I've made thin parting tools from scrap 1 1/4" bands.

Your friends who turn may appreciate obtaining scraps from you.......Rod.