Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Table Legs to top

You can buy table clips at Rockler (or probably other places) online. They fit into a slot in the base around the top and are screwed to the underside of the table top. Since the part of the clip that is in the slot isn't screwed it allows the top to expand and contract as much as it does whatever environment it's in. The clips may be a bit difficult to install if you have already assembled the base since I usually cut the slots with a router or table saw prior to assembling. I found these easy to use and very effective in holding the top to the base while still allowing expansion and contraction. The other suggestions will work also, but I would definitely allow for expansion and contraction in some way or, over time, something is likely to give; most likely the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    You can buy table clips at Rockler (or probably other places) online. They fit into a slot in the base around the top and are screwed to the underside of the table top. Since the part of the clip that is in the slot isn't screwed it allows the top to expand and contract as much as it does whatever environment it's in. The clips may be a bit difficult to install if you have already assembled the base since I usually cut the slots with a router or table saw prior to assembling. I found these easy to use and very effective in holding the top to the base while still allowing expansion and contraction. The other suggestions will work also, but I would definitely allow for expansion and contraction in some way or, over time, something is likely to give; most likely the top.
    I made my own for this build, Used 3/16" thick washers with anchors dropped into the top and the stretcher across. Will allow for 1/2" movement each way.

This what I used recently. Cut a groove on the inside of the stretcher or apron (not sure what the right terminology is) where is wasn't visible on the table saw. Worked great. I don't recall if I used one or two screws in the center (pocket hole) and let the clips secure the rest.

amazon.com/gp/product/B001DSZRDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 12-22-2020 at 4:55 PM. Reason: Forgot Link