Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly Web site updated

The G0514 has a listed 19x19 table. I've noticed in the picture, it looked more like the new table on the G0513. Sometimes the numbers are not correct in the description, so the table on the G0514 could be larger also and the table size in the description was not changed. We'll have to wait and see. I also noticed the G0514 is only 10 lbs. heavier. That seems odd. These are definitely two machines I'll be looking at so any info anybody gets would be greatly appreciated.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

john, what features;resaw height, throat depth,motor size,blade guides etc. are you in the market for? and what price are you hoping to avoid? tod

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Waddell
    Papa Grizzly,
    As a happy owner of a G0513 I was very interested in the changes you guys made to the saw. The new guides and wheels look good. I hope you are going to offer to sell these to those of us with the older versions. I didn't see any changes to the stamped steel trunions and this is the one change that would really make it more rugged. I am a full time WW'er and every now and then I have to cut a large piece of wood. It would be nice not to have to be so careful with the table. Just my thoughts.
    Rob
    Robert, you hit the nail on the head. I too, would love to see the guides and cast iron wheels offered as upgrade items for existing G0513 owners. I plan to have a local machine shop make some beefier trunions.

Todd,

What I wanted was 12" of resaw, 3 hp., 16-18" cast iron wheels, 400-500 lbs. standing weight, cast-iron trunions, enlarged table and $1,200 to $1,400. Something like an 18" model of Grizzly's 21" model, or their 18" model with 12" of resaw. The 19" model seems a bit light weight for that size. If they could convince me the G0514X could fully tension a 1" blade, it would probably be at the top of my list. Right now the G0566 is at the top of my list with the G0513X very close. If I decide to spend more money, the Bridgewood PBS 440 would be my choice. To tell you the truth, since I'm still working on my shop, I don't really have room for any of them, so I can afford to wait for a good deal on one of them, or some others. I'm spending all my extra cash on the building.

John
    John Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey
    Todd,

What I wanted was 12" of resaw, 3 hp., 16-18" cast iron wheels, 400-500 lbs. standing weight, cast-iron trunions, enlarged table and $1,200 to $1,400. Something like an 18" model of Grizzly's 21" model, or their 18" model with 12" of resaw. The 19" model seems a bit light weight for that size. If they could convince me the G0514X could fully tension a 1" blade, it would probably be at the top of my list. Right now the G0566 is at the top of my list with the G0513X very close. If I decide to spend more money, the Bridgewood PBS 440 would be my choice. To tell you the truth, since I'm still working on my shop, I don't really have room for any of them, so I can afford to wait for a good deal on one of them, or some others. I'm spending all my extra cash on the building.

John
    John, I'm confused. You state that you like the 513X. But the 513X has 17" wheels, smaller throat capacity, and only takes a 1" max blade. The 514X lists a max blade size of 1 1/4". I understand that the max blade size on any given saw is hard to fully tension so it seems that the 514X would fit the bill better. What am I not understanding?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark,

I think you're confused because I was confusing. I would like to know whether or not either machine can come close to tensioning the blades their descriptions support. I would like to use a 1" blade if possible. If the G0514X can tension a 1" blade, I would be very interested in that machine. If I were to go with the G0513X, I wouldn't worry about the 1" blade. I would probably settle for a 3/4" blade. From what I've read, most bandsaws in this weight catagory can't tension a 1" blade. However, I'm still learning and hope to find out more through these posts. So far, I haven't found a saw that fits all of my criteria. Just hoping I can find one that meets most. Hope that clears it up, at least a little.

John
    John Bailey

john, being as you`re in no hurry i`ve seen very nice 20" 2 speed rockwells go for as little as 750 with a 5hp baldor motor and carter guides. unless you feel you need new keep your eyes and ears open, the saws that will honestly work well with a 1" blade are not those that most folks want for their garage shops so the market is a little more relaxed. if you where closer i could stear you toward folks that deal in used stuff but being way up north i can`t help much from here. sorry, tod

Todd,

I've seen those and think they might do well for what I want. Most of my work would be done with smaller blades, but I've got trees all over on my property and I'll want something to saw up some boards. Do you know if the Rockwell's will handle small blades also?

Some time the end of March, I hope to be done with my shop so I can start putting some machines in. I'll have a week off and last March I came down to Mt. View, AR to look up some old friends. If I ended up finding the right bandsaw down there, I might just get it and throw it in the pick-up. Even if I didn't find a used one, I might pick up something new at Grizzly on my way through Springfield, MO. Don't go lookin' around a lot, because chances are I wouldn't get it, but if something pops up, I'd like to know.

John
    John Bailey

john, i used to own one of the old rockwells and yes they do fine with a 1/4" blade. i`ll ask a few friends and see what`s available? if you head south you`ll have to stop by and at least say hi