Thread: more picture posting questions...

markus shaffer Guest

more picture posting questions...

okay, i'm pretty proficient with photoshop. i can certainly edit photos and get out all the dust specs and the such.. you want a ufo added to the skyline in your photo; no problem.. you want your face edited into that evil knievel motorcycle jump photo, i can take care of that too.. remove some love handles from your bathing suit photos? sure i can do that..

however, this resizing thing is not working for me. i know how to resize images in photoshop, but when i get them to a file size the i can post in a thread, they are tiny. i'm talking the size of postage stamps.. i have managed to post images before but somewhere along the way, i have forgotten what i did before. i understand the process of getting them in, it's just the resizing part. one of the things i most enjoy about saw mill creek is the sharing of photos. any help would be appreciated.

-markus

Markus, I'm not a PhotoShop user (I use PicturePublisher 10 which is now discontinued) but there should be a convenient way to resize a photo by specifying the pixel count. For example, my program has an image size command. When I change the width from 1024 to 640, it also defaults to scaling the height proportionally. Then I "save as" to a new file using the JPG format with a compression setting of 10:1. I cannot imaging that PhotoShop doesn't have the same capability, although the specific command(s) might be called something completely obtuse for all I know! (If Adobe would make me an offer I can't refuse, I'd buy their program, but I'm not going to drop hundreds right now when I have a working program that does what I need it to do)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by markus shaffer
    okay, i'm pretty proficient with photoshop. i can certainly edit photos and get out all the dust specs and the such.. you want a ufo added to the skyline in your photo; no problem.. you want your face edited into that evil knievel motorcycle jump photo, i can take care of that too.. remove some love handles from your bathing suit photos? sure i can do that..

however, this resizing thing is not working for me. i know how to resize images in photoshop, but when i get them to a file size the i can post in a thread, they are tiny. i'm talking the size of postage stamps.. i have managed to post images before but somewhere along the way, i have forgotten what i did before. i understand the process of getting them in, it's just the resizing part. one of the things i most enjoy about saw mill creek is the sharing of photos. any help would be appreciated.

-markus
    Markus,

There are 3 elements to getting a good picture posted here:

1. Size of the picture in pixels (~640x480)
    2. Size of the picture in Kilobytes (~100KB)
    3. The jpeg compression that gets 640x480 pixels into 100K or less.

First thing I do on a pic for posting is to crop out anything irrelevant around the border of the pic (I use MS Photo Editor). Next, I resize the pic so that both dimensions are less than 640x480, so that most people won't have to scroll horizontally to see the pic (REAL annoying with this software). 640x480 is 40% of a 1600x1200 photo in the linear dimensions, 16% in area. So, right there, you have reduced the file size by 84%. Next, I save the photo as a .jpg file, and MS Photo has a jpeg compression slide--mine's set at 75% quality.

The more pixels in a photo that are the same, the more compression you will get, so a monotone background behind the subject helps allow more compression without losing much quality in the area of the subject.

Hope this helps.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

-markus
    Markus:
    Photoshop has a filter in the edit menu called "Save for web"

1. Resize your photo to 6" x 8" at 72 dpi.
    2. With the pic highlighted open the "save for web filter".
    3.In the sub menu you can force the size of the photo to what you wish.(I generally use 100k.)
    Save the output and you will now have a 6"x 8" pic under 100 k that's Web safe!

Have fun

Bob

Markus:
    Another suggestion - or just my 2 cents worth

In Photoshop
    Resize you photos to 350 pixels either way (Length by width) - I mean "x" by 350 or 350 by "x"
    at 72 dpi
    Then "save for the web".
    That should get photos down to manageable size
    then, if you want to make them bigger than that - "do it the next time"
    Best of luck
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
    Markus:
    Another suggestion - or just my 2 cents worth

In Photoshop
    Resize you photos to 350 pixels either way (Length by width) - I mean "x" by 350 or 350 by "x"
    at 72 dpi
    Then "save for the web".
    That should get photos down to manageable size
    then, if you want to make them bigger than that - "do it the next time"
    Best of luck
    Daniel
    For what its worth Dan, there are ~72 pixels in an inch.

regards
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oswin
    For what its worth Dan, there are ~72 pixels in an inch.

regards
    Bob
    Thanks Bob, I don't or didn't think about the relationship that way.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

markus shaffer Guest

thanks for the advice

i did figure out "save for web" action finally. since i don't really post photos all that much, i had completely forgotten about that option. for an example of my photo posting prowess, see the post entitled "another fine mess" in the power tool forum. i want to thank everyone for their replies.

-markus

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Hey Markus !!!

i did figure out "save for web" action finally. since i don't really post photos all that much, i had completely forgotten about that option. for an example of my photo posting prowess, see the post entitled "another fine mess" in the power tool forum. i want to thank everyone for their replies.

-markus
    I did a small editing job on your "another fine mess" thread - I massage the pic using Photo Draw and reduced the pic to 432 x 324 pixels (approx 4" x 3") "saved for web use", resulting in only a 24k file . and replaced the one that was there. It now looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-15-2003 at 2:42 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.