Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the Hammer/Felder JP Table Extensions Worth The Money?

I had a couple on my BF6-31, which I found very useful for longer boards on the jointer. I had a Jet J/P and was always frustrated by the planer not having any outfeed table for running multiple short pieces through. I have a A3-41 on order and am getting two short ones; one to leave on the planer outfeed and one for the jointer, as needed for long lumber (some of the 6'+ wide 8/4s are pretty heavy to start).

Blog Entries
    The Felder extensions are nice. I have their cast iron extension mounted to the Maka, and the wide aluminum tables on my router table and on the Ulmia tablesaw. For indeed/outfeed on the router table, jointer planer and bandsaw I have abs prefer Aigner.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I added the rails to my jointer and planer outfeed and my saw/shaper outfeed.

One of the short extensions is always on my planer outfeed, one is always on the S/S outfeed and I have a long one that's really useful when running really long material on the jointer od shaper outfeed........Rod.

For those of you that installed the extension on the planer table, did your coupling need to be shimmed to allow a big enough gap for the "hook" on the extension table to fit?

I noticed the mounting holes on my planer table are slightly deeper than the holes on the outfeed table. This causes the coupling to sit too close to the table when snug and prevents the table from hooking to the coupling. I have a ~20mm gap at the outfeed but on the planer, the gap is ~17. The extension hook is 17mm.

I can shim the coupling with a washer as I don't think it's that critical of an alignment but I'm curious if this is common or just a small manufacturing defect.

Thanks!

table-extension-gaps.jpg

Minimax FS41

Minimax FS41E: different machine, but another reference point. I have never found a need to use any extension tables on the jointer or planer. That is a lot of $$ to spend on something that you may or may not need. FWIW

It’s been a few years since I sold my machine so I can’t remember how it was actually attached, but in your picture I noticed what looks like a crack in the middle right. Not sure if you’ve noticed it or if its worth worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Barbatto View Post
    For those of you that installed the extension on the planer table, did your coupling need to be shimmed to allow a big enough gap for the "hook" on the extension table to fit?

I noticed the mounting holes on my planer table are slightly deeper than the holes on the outfeed table. This causes the coupling to sit too close to the table when snug and prevents the table from hooking to the coupling. I have a ~20mm gap at the outfeed but on the planer, the gap is ~17. The extension hook is 17mm.

I can shim the coupling with a washer as I don't think it's that critical of an alignment but I'm curious if this is common or just a small manufacturing defect.

Thanks!

table-extension-gaps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    It’s been a few years since I sold my machine so I can’t remember how it was actually attached, but in your picture I noticed what looks like a crack in the middle right. Not sure if you’ve noticed it or if its worth worry.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I did a double-take looking at the picture and went down to the garage to take a closer look.

Turns out, it was just some dried, crusty gunk that was left on the table. Under the shop lights, it was thick enough to cast a small shadow that made it look like a crack in the photo. It was easily scraped off with a fingernail.

Ive used them on long stock and no way to have done it without them jointing stock up to 14-16 feet. If you didnt need them its just the work you do. I know of at least one person who lost fingers from not having proper support for some heavy maple. The extension tables are there to support the material so you can focus on using the machine properly and not trying to stop it from tilting off the outfeed. Same time id never buy the fancy stuff that is available as simple stuff in the shop will work just as well.

I made my own using heavy extrusions and a homemade F-rail (to use the Felder name).

Felder uses 10 x 40mm steel bar to mount things (except on their newer x-roll sliding tables). Its pretty straight forward to make your own mounting brackets.

I have an older Felder which uses a dovetail mount. I have the cast iron extension pieces but they all need milling because they sit 0.008” high. No bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Barbatto View Post

Thanks!
    A quick check of mine shows about a 20mm gap. In fact, there is a slight gap between the cast iron planer bed and the extension itself. I don't remember doing any shimming. Did you double check that you have all the washers setup correctly? Those are ... odd.

On a related note, I leave the extension on the planer permanently.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    A quick check of mine shows about a 20mm gap. In fact, there is a slight gap between the cast iron planer bed and the extension itself. I don't remember doing any shimming. Did you double check that you have all the washers setup correctly? Those are ... odd.

On a related note, I leave the extension on the planer permanently.
    Now that you mention it, I recall something odd about the washers too. They either went on the opposite side from what you would expect, or they were concentric or cam’s or something. Don’t remember the detail but do remember having to redo mine because of the washers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Now that you mention it, I recall something odd about the washers too. They either went on the opposite side from what you would expect, or they were concentric or cam’s or something. Don’t remember the detail but do remember having to redo mine because of the washers.
    I remember something like this as well. Last show I did for Felder, my tech ran into a similar issue with specific arrangement of the washers. It’s been a while but I recall that once we identified the idiosyncracy, the rest was downhill. Hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have attached pictures from the install sheet for the Hammer extension coupling. The washers are spherical ( 2 of them make 1 set), one fits into the other to take up any misalignment when tightening the coupling to the machine to keep it straight.

IMG_2918.jpgIMG_2917.jpg

I double checked my washers and they are in the correct sequence as indicated in the photos from Robyn.

On my planer table, the #3 spacer (per Robyn's picture) sits just slightly deeper in the hole causing the gap to be too narrow.

I ended up adding an M10 nylon washer between the table and the #3 spacer. I didn't measure the thickness of the washer but would guess it's about 1.25-1.5mm. With the washer in place, there's now plenty of room to fit the extension table hook into the gap.

My plan is to leave the table permanently attached to the planer.

Thanks guys!

Anthony