Thread: Question for Indy Woodworkers (Gloat & Hidden Gloat)

Question Question for Indy Woodworkers (Gloat & Hidden Gloat)

Gloat:

Next week I will be attending a Hand Cut Dovetailed Blanket Chest class, taught by Kelly Mehler, at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking, just south of Indy.

Now here's the question...

I have some wide cherry (hidden gloat) that I wish to plane down to 3/4 of an inch. It is about 5/4 now. I have a place locally in Ft. Worth that will do it, but I am worried that after I plane it, it may (1) warp, or (2) get damaged during transport to Indy.

Does anyone know of a place with a 24 inch planer in Indy that I can use to plane my lumber? By use, I mean that I am willing to pay to use their planer, or, if liability is a problem, I am willing to pay to watch them plane my lumber. I don't care, I just want it planed nice and flat, and I am not asking for a favor, but am willing to pay.

Some of my boards are 22" wide, and Marc's planer is only 18", hence the problem.

I will be in Indy Friday afternoon, and attending class on Saturday, so Friday afternoon would be best. If you know of a place that can accomodate me, please post their phone number so I can call in advance and set it up.

Thanks in advance!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin,

Congrats on the class. I took a class by Kelly there a couple years ago and loved it. You might try:

SUPERIOR DISTRIBUTING CO. INDUSTRIAL DEALER 918-922 FT. WAYNE AVENUE
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46202-3387
    US 800-622-4462

They are near downtown. I don't think they have a planer, but I believe they have a big sander. They also might be able to recommend someone.

Enjoy - John

Which class did you take? I am going to try to take another one next year, if I can get vacation to work out.

Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call tomorrow, and if they can't do it, maybe they know someone who can. I really need a planer, but the sander might come in handy after I get it planed.

Thanks again,
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Martin,

I took a weekend handcut dovetail class. I wanted to learn before I bought a Leigh jig. I have a hand cut dovetail around somewhere to prove it, but I ususally pull out the Leigh for dovetail work. If Superior doesn't have a big enough planer or sander there are lots of hobbiest and cabinet shops around Indy, I'm sure they could recommend someone.

Good Luck and Have Fun - John