Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diamond or Ceramic?

David B, very valid points, unfortunately. Heck, if you wanted to buy a new track saw, and test out, Festool, Grizz, Makita, DW, Triton, Kregg and make a $1K buying choice right there on the spot for saw, blades, rails, etc, I doubt there is anywhere in USA where this would be possible. As you suggest, a trade show is your best hope. But unless u live in Vegas or Orlando, you will spend more on travel and hotel vs. the purchase price. This is our new modern reality. We all have reasons why we love and hate Amazon!

While these forums are helpful, it seems many people have forgotten that manufacturers and dealers often know more about these issues than forums. Why? Cause manufacturers like LV, LN, (and others) all experiment on ways to sharpen there blades, so they have more side by side experience vs. many forum contributors. Also, there is some great sharpening dealers who also do lots of side by side tests, such as sharpening supplies.com...speaking to them is also very valuable for specific issues as raised here.

I am glad others agree on how diamond stones fade way to quickly. Another product that seems perfect in so many ways, and it actually is, except for the non mention of wear and the cost to constantly replace the plates. Stones really are an amazing value and as good, or better than any sharpening method. There are exceptions, such as the VERY casual user, whereas a scary sharp, or granite or glass plate combined with papers can be much more cost effective vs. buying a lot of costly stones, holders, flatenning stones, etc. Other users are fine with just a grinder.

Just my take - as you said there is no Holy Grail. But, there are different methods that bring us all to very close to the same place - sharp enough. (Currently), I follow the Cosman approach to sharpening. I own several of the Shapton stones - all the way to 16K. I use 1K and 16K Shapton stones (no Diamond) for my day-to-day sharpening and am very happy with the results. I'm also a big fan of Paul Sellers - who is about as opposite from Cosman as a person can be in terms of tools/philosophy, etc. He uses Diamond/Strop, and one can't argue with his results. There are pros/cons to both methods. I've contemplated trying Sellers method. Not because my current method in inadequate - but just to learn/try something new. I guess my point is - pick the one you are comfortable with/can afford and master it. Both will get you to 'sharp enough' for woodworking.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Blog Entries
    I guess my point is - pick the one you are comfortable with/can afford and master it. Both will get you to 'sharp enough' for woodworking.
    This is possibly the best advice to anyone seeking sharpening knowledge. That is also why it tends to show up in every discussion of sharpening methods.

Though in other versions of the same philosophy, any is used instead of both.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is possibly the best advice to anyone seeking sharpening knowledge. That is also why it tends to show up in every discussion of sharpening methods.

Though in other versions of the same philosophy, any is used instead of both.

jtk
    Let me start by saying I strongly agree about that being fabulous advice... And either you got one thing wrong or I got one thing wrong.

Surely it is not by any rather than both, it's buy ALL

:-)

Have I been doing it wrong?