Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Minimum Quill Stroke?

Drill Press Minimum Quill Stroke?

Hello everyone. I'd like to save up for a floor standing drill press. I have searched the forum for information on quill stroke, but I have a specific question on what you view as a minimum threshold for woodworking. I have read some tool reviewers (not anyone on these forums) suggest that 4" (or more) of quill stroke should be the minimum consideration. I know that in many cases this bumps up one's options in size and cost. I'm looking to stay around $800 or less, and right now I'm open on used or new. But the main thing I could use advice on is whether to draw a strict line on 4" of quill stroke or if it is OK to consider less. I will be using the press to drill mortises among other tasks, and I plan on building arts and crafts style furniture.

Thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    For some reason drill presses are a challenge for many makers to get to market with a solid quality. Longer stroke is a great convenience but, many DP's have accuracy issues at 4" let alone 6". I would love a solid 6" stroke machine if anyone made one for under a few grand. I have used a 3-7/8" stroke machine with only the very occasional issue relating to stroke length for 15 years. I will upgrade it in a heartbeat as soon as something better comes along at a price not figured in orders of magnitude.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have a General Int. with a 6 or 6-1/2" stroke & have needed the extra length many times (this is starting to sound dirty). I've never measured runout or play on it because I've never had an issue with either. It's a solid, but basic machine with few frills & a horrible depth stop. I don't remember what I paid, but it was on sale & it was under $1000.

If I had to, I would trade a good depth stop for "extra" travel if it came to that. Pretty much all I use my old shopsmith for these days is the drill press, and it's travel is about 4 inches. There have been times when I needed more travel, but not a lot of times. But the depth stop is used frequently. As always, it depends on what you use it for. You say you will be using to hog out waste on mortises. Blind mortises aren't usually more than a few inches deep and through mortises can be bored out from both sides usually. When I do get around to upgrading to a separate drill press, I will look for 6" of travel but I've managed with 4" for close to 40 years now.

Often the bigger limitation is distance between the quill and the column; I bump in to that limit frequently as well.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    If I had to, I would trade a good depth stop for "extra" travel if it came to that. Pretty much all I use my old shopsmith for these days is the drill press, and it's travel is about 4 inches. There have been times when I needed more travel, but not a lot of times. But the depth stop is used frequently. As always, it depends on what you use it for. You say you will be using to hog out waste on mortises. Blind mortises aren't usually more than a few inches deep and through mortises can be bored out from both sides usually. When I do get around to upgrading to a separate drill press, I will look for 6" of travel but I've managed with 4" for close to 40 years now.

Often the bigger limitation is distance between the quill and the column; I bump in to that limit frequently as well.
    Thanks so much for the replies so far everyone. I was wondering about how to think about mortise depths so this is very helpful.

When I began building a woodworking shop I already had a cheap benchtop drill press with about 2 1/2" stroke IIRC. Once I began turning, I couldn't even easily drill a pen blank with it. I upgraded to an 17" or 18" which has at least a 4" stroke. I wouldn't go for less stroke now. JMHO. I have a GI mortiser that works well for me.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Another reason for long stroke is so you don't have to raise and lower the column often. Mine has a table around it and is inconvenient to raise and lower. With a six inch stroke, I rarely have to.

I also prefer the depth stop to be the type with the threaded bolt along the side, not the twist type with spring. This is very handy to measure your stroke, using brass setup blocks. Also handy to just hand clamp a spring clamp on it to hold the bit close to the work so you don't have to crank it up and down with a lot of extra movement.

Mine is a 6" stroke Delta with the reeves drive VS. Don't like it much, but as others mentioned above, it would be hard to replace it with something better.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have 6" stroke on my machine. 95% plus of what I do requires less than 4" of travel. When I have needed the extended travel, there were almost always ways I could have worked something out with a short stroke. But for all that, I wouldn't trade the longer capability away. Just the frequency with which it means I avoid having to move the table makes it valuable - the occasional deep hole work is just gravy.

My Jet has "about" 4.5" of quill travel and it's been rare when that wasn't sufficient. I'd want the machine itself to be extremely high quality and with minimal run-out of it had that longer throw because longer tooling is also going to add more run-out in the mix already.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would do a search on Craig's list and Facebook market place. Chances are you can find a used one in your budget that will have plenty of stroke. As for how much? Like others have said, longer is better. The problem is that if you are too far from your work and reach the limit and raise the table it's real easy to have it move from side to side forcing you to start over again getting it lined up.

Blog Entries
    For me the need for extra stroke would be primarily to minimize the number of times I need to adjust the head or table up or down. Having a quill lock is as important as having a good depth stop.
    NOW you tell me...

I have an old Rockwell Drill Press (Model 15-17) with around 4.5" of quill stroke. I like that travel to avoid raising and lowering the table frequently and maintaining rigidity. Of course, those old Rockwells are built like tanks and have great rigidity period . It has a jig style table, but was easy to make an enlarged table. The thing I dislike most about it is the belt changes for speed adjustments, but it isn't enough to make me give up all the things I like about it.
    Last edited by Lisa Starr; 12-17-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Corrected typo

Nova Voyager has 6" of quill travel. About double your budget though. I have had mine since shortly after they came out. Do not recall having needed the full six inches of travel, or even close to that.

Most drill presses in home use never get close to wearing out. Good ones can adjust quill for slop as it wears into the casting. Springs do break. Except for walker turner 15" all the bearings are standard AFAIK. If you buy a used one with a 3 phase motor it is probably better and more accurate then anything in your new budget unless you can move the quill by hand at full extension then it may be too worn..
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-17-2020 at 10:52 PM.

I figured I needed 3.5+ inches so I could drill through a 2x4 in one shot. I think my Walker Turner 20" dp is better then anything sold today at the big stores. I did replace the quill bearings, I know it was made before 1952.
    Bil lD