Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drill Press Minimum Quill Stroke?

Good grief David. It's like 'which Bentley shall I drive today'. I am turning green with jealousy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Nova Voyager has 6" of quill travel. About double your budget though. I have had mine since shortly after they came out. Do not recall having needed the full six inches of travel, or even close to that.
    I actually used the full 6" of quill travel on my Voyager this week. But that's been the only time since I owned it. But 4" or more is very nice to have.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

That's tough to follow, especially with mine. My Craftsman has served me well for 35 years, and has only 3 1/4" stroke. I do have to move the table often. Had I read this post 20 years ago I'd have upgraded but now I'm looking at the dark at the end of the tunnel.

3 to 4 inch stroke is fine.

The main items I look for are runout, a large cast iron table that's square to the quill, a table elevation rack or other mechanism, and a range of speeds that's adequate for woodworking, not metal working......Rod.

P.S I also like a square or rectangular table, much nicer for jigs or clamping.

P.P.S. i would give up on the mortising attachment, I had one and gave it away to someone I didn't like :-)