Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What this country needs is a good 25 dollar tool roll for chisels!

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    Got done gifting those who were neither naughty nor pouty and Googled around last night for that best boy of all, me. All I want is a tool roll for my chisels. That shouldn't be a big ask, right? Some are in boxes and the rest, acquired piecemeal, on shelves or in drawers. Very unsatisfactory. My files (upper left), which came from Garrett-Wade a lifetime ago , arrived in this very useful roll made of good old denim.

Room for a dozen will do.

Help a guy out?
    More than $25 but well worth a look and the money. Good old made in the USA. "We make things like they used to" is the motto.

https://www.txheritage.net/chisel-rolls
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries

I think I bought mine from Hida tools which has both canvas (~$10-$12) and leather (~24-28).

Luckily my wife sews. I asked her to make me a couple of tool rolls for my chisels and carving tools. She had some good canvas and did an amazing job.

I would be careful about making sure you were using a material that inhibited rust, for those occasions when you were not going to be using the chisels for a while. In my experience, canvas may not be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I would be careful about making sure you were using a material that inhibited rust, for those occasions when you were not going to be using the chisels for a while. In my experience, canvas may not be the best choice.
    I have a number of chisel rolls made from canvas and never have any problem with rust. Why do you think canvas would encourage rust?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have a number of chisel rolls made from canvas and never have any problem with rust. Why do you think canvas would encourage rust?
    It’s been my observation over the years. My workspace hasn’t always been climate controlled, and I’m partial to vintage metal, so the tendency of canvas to get damp and _stay_ damp has sometimes been a problem. I don’t like surprises of that sort.