Thread: what am I doing wrong?

what am I doing wrong?

I want to fill the area around the oval and circle with basket weave. The oval and circle cut lines are yellow the outside and stitch circles are red.I know I have to combine so I can do the fill , but when I do that all the cut lines turn yellow. I need them to stay the colors they are so the red cuts thru and the yellow not cut thru and then I can put logos in the circle and oval.

wal.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Never done this, I tried, and failed like you!

EZ fix however:

Copy your layout, then paste it, then move the copy an exact amount, say 8", to the right
    (I'm using blue )
    bw1.jpg

Combine the first one, yes all outlines will be red- and basketweave it,
    then click it to group it-
    bw2.jpg

then on the color chart, right-click the "X" at the top,
    this will un-paint your outlines in the basketweave-
    bw3.jpg

Now just move the RED outlines back 8".
    -the blue (yellow) aren't even necessary anymore, and actually, they can
    all start out as red!
    bw4.jpg

Now only what you want to cut will cut, and you can put something else in the ovals
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-20-2020 at 1:07 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev I've been working on a work around too. Not as good as yours . I made the images green and will cut them lightly I made a new rectangle yellow and over laid the original . I'll cut all lightly then cut the rest by hand . havent tried it yet will give your method a try tomorrow. You always find a way your amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Never done this, I tried, and failed like you!

EZ fix however:

Copy your layout, then paste it, then move the copy an exact amount, say 8", to the right
    (I'm using blue )
    bw1.jpg

Combine the first one, yes all outlines will be red- and basketweave it,
    then click it to group it-
    bw2.jpg

then on the color chart, right-click the "X" at the top,
    this will un-paint your outlines in the basketweave-
    bw3.jpg

Now just move the RED outlines back 8".
    -the blue (yellow) aren't even necessary anymore, and actually, they can
    all start out as red!
    bw4.jpg

Now only what you want to cut will cut, and you can put something else in the ovals
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

My approach would be to set the nudge to some random number (say 10" or enough to move the yellow completely outside the red) then move the yellow so it is outside. While there, fill it with white, then place any logo or artwork in it, group it, and order it to the front of the page. Go back to the red area and fill it with basketweave. Finally, use the nudge to return the yellow to the red. That should be sufficient if the basketweave will be rastered. But if the basketweave will be vectored, then before moving the yellow back and before filling the basketweave pattern, duplicate the red and nudge the copy in the opposite direction. Also duplicate the yellow as you will need a sacrificial copy to remove some of the basketweave. Fill the original with basketweave then change the outer line to "no outline", subtract the yellow areas to leave a blank in the basketweave, then replace the yellow areas and logo. Finally nudge the red back into place

I am sure there are more efficient means and dozens of other approaches, but that is how I approach those situations that automatically change the color of lines when I don't want them to change.

*Edit: I should note that I use CorelDraw X3. I am not sure if the names of the steps I listed are used in other software or later version of Corel.
    Last edited by Stan Cook; 12-20-2020 at 4:19 PM.

Awesome Kev worked like a charm and easy to do, Thanks for the instructions, added them to my corel tips folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Thanks Kev I've been working on a work around too. Not as good as yours . I made the images green and will cut them lightly I made a new rectangle yellow and over laid the original . I'll cut all lightly then cut the rest by hand . havent tried it yet will give your method a try tomorrow. You always find a way your amazing.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander