Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outfeed Table Design

Amazon, was where I found those leveling feet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Yeaglin View Post
    From your drawings, I pose a question? Is this being built from plywood, hence the double thickness for everything? Also it looks like your top is of torsion box design, Why do you have so many cross members? THe bottom could be built with stretchers and 2-3 cross members the same goes for the top of the frame, the box designed top will hold all the weight, cross members of the frame just keep it "in shape" side to side. All of the weight will be transferred down via the frame from the top box. The frame could easily be fashioned from construction lumber and the top box from plywood or MDF (but would be very heavy). As to the levelers, think about how heavy the table will be, I see that allen key striping out.. i found these which are a little better and I wouldn't use the stamped steel wrench that is supplied.
    I looked at these but the info says they only support 80# each or 320# for all four. My table will weigh a lot more thn that so I found some that support 1000# each Way overkill but hey.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

For my heavy machines I build mobile bases starting with 2 parallel 4x4s topped with a deck for the machine made out of 2x stock. Finally, on top are 4 perimeter 4x4s to capture the base of the machine. The whole thing is lag screwed together. In the 4 ends of the two bottom 4x4s, I first drill a 0.75" vertical through hole and then, from the bottom side, a 1.125" diameter hole 2.25" deep centered on the 3/4" one. I then press in a 2-1/4" long 3/4"-10 threaded rod coupler until it seats (I used to epoxy these in place, but found it wasn't necessary). Then I thread into these 3/4"-10 x 4" carriage bolts. Against the floor, I use hockey pucks with a centered 1.25" diameter x 1/4" deep recess (Forstner bit) to hold the heads of the carriage bolts and keep them from scoring the floor when you adjust everything to level. Oh, how do I move whatever this beast is holding? A pallet jack - it slips easily between the bottom pair of 4x4s. If you have machines (or a table) narrower than the 27" width of the a standard pallet jack, they do come in narrower widths (15" is relatively common). I can (with effort) move my Crescent P24 planer (4,000#) this way.

For your outfeed table, I would drill the holes in the bottoms of the four legs and just make sure the lowest shelf is within about three inches of the floor so a PJ can get under and then lift it (most PJs can slip into a space 2.5-3" high and can lift to 6-7").

Just curious as to what the idea for the miter bars is going to be. I am going to be rebuilding my torsion box outfeed soon and the current one has two layers of MDF with slots for the miter bars to fit. I have kicked around a couple ideas but would be interested in what others have done. I want to move to one with the dog holes as well so doubling up a top doesn't seem as easy as it was before.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Just curious as to what the idea for the miter bars is going to be. I am going to be rebuilding my torsion box outfeed soon and the current one has two layers of MDF with slots for the miter bars to fit. I have kicked around a couple ideas but would be interested in what others have done. I want to move to one with the dog holes as well so doubling up a top doesn't seem as easy as it was before.

Joe
    If I'm understating you, your concern is where the miter slots will be in the outfeed top.

If so, when I built my outfeed table, as a torsion box, in the area where the miter slots would be, I doubled up the MDF. The rest is all a single thickness, 3/4" MDF. Had I decided to do the bench dog holes, I would have done the internal skeleton different.

The center front rectangle is where it's doubled up.

The top side
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-04-2021 at 9:21 PM.