Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Block plane for my mentor....he's retiring! Row boat building?

Wood River has a knuckle cap BP for $120 ,that and a couple of extra good irons .....and possibly a hand made exotic
    wood case ...would make anyone happy. I'm willing to be the 'test case'. Fair, Honest, and Grateful. Note: I will NOT
    accept a plane that looks like an old Star Trek prop !

Matt,

Fortunately, there are many good block planes currently on the market and vintage models are also relatively plentiful if you know where to look (and know what you are looking at). I own a Lie Nielsen 60-1/2 Low angle block plane and several vintage Stanley 60-1/2s too. The Lie Nielsen was my first premium plane and helped me understand what a well tuned plane should feel like. All of them get the job done, and do it well, but without working with a well tuned plane (vintage or new) it can be hard to know what you are “shooting” for when tuning a vintage plane (you see what I did there?). In my experience, all of the block planes from Lie Nielsen and Veritas are top notch. Additionally, none of the planes I have received from Lie Nielsen or Veritas have needed anything other than honing the blade to get going. Lie Nielsen leans towards a more traditional aesthetic (most of their planes are based on Vintage Stanley designs) while Veritas (Lee Valley) leans more towards a modern design aesthetic and are truly innovative in their designs. I tend to prefer the traditional look of Lie Nielsen planes but I can’t fault Veritas (Lee Valley). The WoodRiver planes sold by Woodcraft also look nice, but I have never owned one. If it makes a difference to you, Lie Nielsen planes are made in the US, Veritas planes are made in Canada, and WoodRiver planes are made in Asia.

If this is really going to be a first plane, it is really important that you make sure he has what he needs to sharpen it properly. Whether it’s just a piece float glass (or granite tile) and sanding paper and/film, or a set of stones, an edge tool without a way to sharpen it is useless as a functional tool. If he already has some chisels or planes, he may already be set. Otherwise, you may want to consider also gifting him something to sharpen with (even if you have to reduce how much you spend on the plane itself).

One other note on sharpening, any of the skew block planes (the No. 140s or equivalents) will be a bit more challenging to sharpen, and will require him to either sharpen freehand, or have some fancy sharpening jig, to sharpen and maintain the plane blade at the proper skewed angle. For this reason, I’d skip any of the skew planes as a first plane.

The low angle planes will be more versatile than standard angle block plane. Since block planes are bevel up, you can make the reduce the effective cutting angle of a low angle plane to match that of a standard angle block plane, but not visa versa.

Lastly, while I own three 60-1/2 block planes, I would actually prefer a smaller “apron plane” like a Lie Nielsen No. 102 or the Veritas Apron Plane for building a small boat. The Lie Nielsen is on my Christmas wish list specifically for a canoe I plan on starting soon. I have big hands, but the 60-1/2 planes (especially any of the modern ones I’ve held) feel a bit heavy in my hand to work with single handed while holding the workpiece with my other hand. Given the highly detailed work that dentists do with dental instruments, it wouldn’t surprise me if a dentist may appreciate the dexterity and finesse provided by a smaller plane, not to mention its more appropriately sized to keep in a pouch or apron and be close at hand when needed.

Good luck with your gift purchase. I’m sure a block plane will be much used, appreciated, and cherished by someone building a small boat.
    Last edited by Andrew Nemeth; 12-22-2020 at 8:49 PM.

Happen to know of a place...
    Birthday Rust Hunt, OUCH.JPG
    Not far from here.....Harmony, OH. east side of Springfield, OH. and...this was just ONE of several cases.....

( look real close, upper left hand corner...Stanley No. 4-1/2.....don't ask)

Thanks, Stephen!

I especially appreciate the tips from all the users of tools.
    Personally, I'm an apron plan fan myself...thanks to Derek Cohen, I bought a 103 LN.

Will likely check in with him re: sharpening prior to getting stuff.

Took about 30 minutes, tonight....rehab of a rusty and crusty block plane...
    Rehab, block plane.JPG
    Main weapon of choice?
    Rehab, cleaning machine.JPG
    and a belt/disc sander....and a 1" diameter cup brush in the drill press...
    Rehab, sole, the before.JPG
    Handsome, ain't it?
    Rehab, parts, before.JPG
    So...the "After" photos...
    Rehab, sole, the after.JPG
    Looks slightly better, but at least it is flat enough, for a block plane..
    Rehab, the after, front view.JPG
    Front view, now....all the rust is gone....
    Rehab, the after, side view.JPG
    Bad paint job on the sides, covered up the fact nobody has bothered to mill the sides....

Also gave the Stanley No. 3, Type 11's iron a touch-up...
    Rehab, sharpened.JPG
    Not sure who made that little block plane.....might have been a Mohawk-Shelbourne?

The LN 102, holster and Henry Eckert adjuster would get my vote for a thoughtful impressive gift. If he wears an apron delete the holster.

A friend of mine recently gifted me a LN 102 for helping him out with a project. He is a metal worker and has the woodworking tools his late father left him. He did not know what he had in his tool box but when he saw my eyes light up he said keep it. I love it and reach for it over my stanley 60 1/2 most of the time. All brass is nice for no rust on the body and the simplicity of it makes for less set up. Check the cut depth and make sure the blade didn't get knocked out of its seat and your working. If you want to spend more money i'd spread it out a bit. Maybe the 102 and a nice saw/chisels? I got into woodworking this year and would have loved for someone to hand me a hand tool starter kit and assure me I would be hard pressed to find anything better than what is in the kit. I do not use chisels or a hand saw much but have found a hand saw for the one off small cuts more enjoyable, safer, and easier than firing up the miter saw. I've got a $20 dozuki saw currently but a LN or LV backsaw are on the wish list. The sharpening set up is a good idea but thats a hard one as there are a million ways to skin that cat.
    Last edited by Cassius Nielsen; 12-25-2020 at 7:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Dear Creekers,

My mentor is finally retiring after 53 years of dentistry.
    His wife and COVID troubles (staff drama, loads of PPE, multi month shutdown, etc) have finally convinced him to sleep in for the first time in 73 years.
    For the past 9 years, he's been like a good uncle to me.

9 years ago, he's mentioned about building a rowboat after retirement.
    I've bought him a boat building book as a surprise Christmas present.

I'd like to get him a truly special block plane.

Any recommendations?
    Matt, has your mentor actually done any woodworking? Is this talk of building a rowboat a bit of a fantasy, or is he reasonably skilled and this is a project he has been putting off?

If he is skilled, then my choice would be either the bronze LN #102 or the nickel-resist Veritas NX60 block planes.

If he is not a woodworker, do not buy him any tools. It is unlikely that the tools would have much meaning. Cheap or dear, common or collectable - it would all be the same to him, and placed on a shelf to remember the occasion. Anyone who has a serious interest in woodworking does not leave it until they are retired to begin .. or in any serious way.

An alternative is to purchase him an entry training course in woodworking. A certificate in a frame or presentation box would round that off. Or even a small block plane, such as the Veritas Apron, to take along.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    As a boatbuilder I use LN #102 or LN 140 skew block planes the most. The 140 is the tool to bevel for rabbets and plank gains if the boat will be lapstrake. The 101 or 102 is always in my apron. I did not see 101 on the website so it might be a Covid manufactured delay.
    Jim
    If my recollection is still any good, the LN #101 (or was it called #103?) was dropped from the stock list a couple of years back, as was any iron versions of that size block plane.

The LN #101 is a violin makers plane. IMO the #101 would be too small to be of use for all but the finest details of a rowboat. The LN #102 is a low angle “apron” plane, and the #103 is/was a standard angle apron plane. While out of stock, the #101 and #102 are still listed on the LN website. I believe it’s the #103 that has been discontinued.

Yes I miss remembered. I had intended to say #103 not #101. Sorry for the confusion.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

No need to apologize. I thought twice about posting as I didn’t want to be “that guy”, but I thought it would be best to correct the record in case someone were to actually be making a purchasing decision based in part on any of the information in this thread.

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    May as well jump on the bandwagon. The #60 size low angle block planes are a versatile and handy block plane to have.

Good quality examples are made by Veritas and Lie-Nielsen among some others. My LN #60 is a nice plane but it a bit on the heavy side compared to my Stanley's of the same size.

My boat building knowledge is next to zilch. If he is interested in making a lapstrake boat a rabbet plane my be in order if those use shiplap joinery.

Just my 2˘ Two Cents.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Matt, has your mentor actually done any woodworking? Is this talk of building a rowboat a bit of a fantasy, or is he reasonably skilled and this is a project he has been putting off?

If he is skilled, then my choice would be either the bronze LN #102 or the nickel-resist Veritas NX60 block planes.

If he is not a woodworker, do not buy him any tools. It is unlikely that the tools would have much meaning. Cheap or dear, common or collectable - it would all be the same to him, and placed on a shelf to remember the occasion. Anyone who has a serious interest in woodworking does not leave it until they are retired to begin .. or in any serious way.

An alternative is to purchase him an entry training course in woodworking. A certificate in a frame or presentation box would round that off. Or even a small block plane, such as the Veritas Apron, to take along.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey Derek,

He's actually pretty skilled. During the Coronovirus shutdown, he tore out 6 Bay windows from his second story and installed new ones, redoing his living room in Mahogany and Walnut in the first week of shutdown.
    Then, he was bored, so continued installing trim and replaced the wood flooring in his son's house...before driving off to install a deck in his Lake house.

I'm the amateurish hack... :P

-Matt

Actually a better way to go might be a nice block plane and a scrub plane. While a block plane can do a lot, it can be frustrating by itself.