Thread: Cleaning CBN Wheels

Cleaning CBN Wheels

Do you clean your CBN wheels? I have seen these white aluminum oxide sticks for cleaning. What do you clean your wheels with and how often?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I believe that the general consensus is that if you are only using HSS on the CBN, you don't need to worry about cleaning them. If you use high carbon steel, they can load up, and then people say to use a scrap piece of HSS to clean off the buildup, though it may take multiple cleanings if the buildup is significant.

Are you having issues with your CBN wheels? If so, what kind and how long have you been using them? They do wear down over time, but most hobby turners can use them for many years before needing replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Feng View Post
    I believe that the general consensus is that if you are only using HSS on the CBN, you don't need to worry about cleaning them. If you use high carbon steel, they can load up, and then people say to use a scrap piece of HSS to clean off the buildup, though it may take multiple cleanings if the buildup is significant.

Are you having issues with your CBN wheels? If so, what kind and how long have you been using them? They do wear down over time, but most hobby turners can use them for many years before needing replacements.
    I’m not having any issues with the wheels, however they are 4 years old. I have a 180 and a 80. I do dip the tools in water and wipe off any build up before sharpening, but may not get all the build up off. So I was wondering if people cleaned their wheels. I have see info where it says they wear and also that they don’t wear. Not sure what to believe on that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

The only problems I have with my wheel getting loaded up with stuff is when turning green wood and sharpening. Mostly this is in the form of gunk/tree sap, and most of the time isn't a problem. It makes the wheels fairly black. You can take your wheels off and soak them in oven cleaner, or any 'solvent' type soap. Dave Schweitzer of D Way used to use Simple Green. Let the wheel sit for an hour or three, then hit it with a scrub brush. About the only maintenance I do is to put a dab of lapping fluid on the bevels of my tools before sharpening. This does a good job of keeping the wheels cutting clean.

Once upon a time, I took a worn out set of wheels, maybe 6 years old, that were pretty much worn out, and intentionally loaded them up with aluminum, copper, brass, and soft steel. It took maybe a month of sharpening my tools on them before I could not see any colors on them. Oh, Stuart Batty commented that the CBN wheels will last about 5 years for a production turner. I agree.

robo hippy

Woodturnerswonders.com sells a wax stick for cleaning cbn wheels and to prevent clogging. I have not used mine enough to provide meaningful feedback but here is an interesting video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RsH...e=emb_imp_woyt
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    Woodturnerswonders.com sells a wax stick for cleaning cbn wheels and to prevent clogging. I have not used mine enough to provide meaningful feedback but here is an interesting video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RsH...e=emb_imp_woyt
    Thanks Mike, I just ordered Ken’s “Slick Stick”. Looks to have other uses.

I may have to look into that cleaning stick as well. I do use some lapping fluid. I do have an old set that did a good job of polishing, but not cutting/sharpening. I might see if they can be resurrected...

robo hippy