Thread: Why so few micro pocket hole jigs?

Why so few micro pocket hole jigs?

Any idea why there are so few options for drilling micro pocket holes? Kreg obviously has the conversion pieces for their larger jigs, but it seems like that's it. There don't even seem to be any of the plethora of cheap, import pocket hole jigs that use a 7.5mm step drill like the Kreg conversion.

I did cut some sleeves out of 3/8" OD aluminum tube that fits closely around the Kreg micro drill bit and slid them inside the drill bushings of my Harbor Freight pocket hole jig. While that does work, the aluminum is getting pretty beaten up and slides out with the bit, and I'd like a more permanent solution.

Obviously there doesn't seem to be sufficient demand to lure copycats into the market place. Why don't you want to use the Kreg version? I've found there products to be high quality and easy to use.

It's not so much that I don't want to use the Kreg jig. The mini jig I have from them is great. If they made a micro version of it, I'd already have one! It's just that I already have a benchtop jig. I guess I would avoid buying another large jig just so I could buy something else to upgrade it to do what I want.

I hear you about supply and demand though. I figured they'd be more broadly popular for making drawers and other thin stock applications.

Blog Entries
    I use the micro guide in their portable base. The base fits both. Since pocket holes are a solution to a problem for me as opposed to a common joinery tool the micro sees more use than others. It can be maneuvered into many positions. A micro version would be welcome.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-23-2020 at 10:57 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Oddly enough, I wandered through the tool section at Menards yesterday and saw the Kreg micro insert was on sale as "discontinued". However, that may just be for Menards and not in general. Either way, I picked up the insert and plan to build my own jig around it.