Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool Midi or CT26 Dust Extractor

Festool Midi or CT26 Dust Extractor

I am strictly a hobbyist and going to buy a Festool dust extractor and would like advice about which model -- Midi or CT26. The overall capacity is a non-issue. The $100 price difference is also a non-issue. The control panels are different and I am not sure if that is due to the Midi being new version/model. The CT26 also has more available accessories but I am not sure if any of these are worthwhile. Any feedback or advice is appreciated.

I am curious how this thread will go ,I am looking at this same question on these Festool dust extractors.

Hi John - I have a 2018 version CT26. I like it a lot, it pretty much lives hooked up to my Kapex, the auto-start on tool start is real handy. I added the blue-tooth module for when I am using it with other tools. For me, the blue-tooth remote start is a game-changer "never go back" feature. It is very handy with sanders, etc.
    My CT26 does not have the filter cleaning function. I use an Oneida separator when I'm creating a lot of dust. Festool also now makes a separator. The newer style smooth hoses are a big improvement over the old ribbed hoses.
    I have no experience with the Midi, just what I've seen on YouTube. Check out Sedge on "Festool Fridays". I would buy the CT26 again. If you post this question on FOG, I'm guessing you'll get lots of replies. Good luck with your decision ! -Rich

I have a MIDI that I bought a year or so back from the refurbished Festool mailing list (does this still happen?) It was around $425 if I remember correctly and works perfectly for me. I'm a professional and use it both in my shop hooked up to sander and/or router as well as for some selective on site sanding work, but never for general clean up / shop vac duty. The relatively small size and light weight nature of the Midi makes it perfect for on site work and the capacity has never been a limitation to me.

I see no good reason to go bigger and more $$ personally, but I tend to stretch my budget $$ as much as possible and try and get the best bang for my buck, especially when I'm spending $500 on a vac. There may reasons I haven't considered or that don't apply to me and my usage that make one of the larger vacs worthy of the larger $$, but I'm very happy with my Midi. I also have an old R2D2 style round Fein Turbo II that's probably 15-20 years old and still in great shape, excepting the noise suppressing foam that has mostly deteriorated and fallen out over time, making it a bit louder than the Festool. I like and use them both, though I've taken to using the Fein as more of a jobsite "dust collector" connected to a Dust Deputy and hooked to a jobsite table saw and miter saw with Rousseau dust hood. It does pretty well at this all things considered, but really doesn't have enough CFM with 2 1/2" flex hose to be 100% effective. The Festool is more refined for sanding with the anti static hose, adjustable suction, a bit better mobility and tool well in the top.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 12-23-2020 at 10:06 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

I went through a bunch of lower end vacs before purchasing possibly the same Fein that Phillip mentions. It was an excellent vac: reasonably quiet, good suction, and auto-on feature. The only feature I disliked, and disliked a LOT, was the round body. This made the machine difficult to move around - always tripping over its own many wheels - and then difficult to park in a corner.

When I finally blew up the circuit board after about 10 years, I looked around for a replacement, and this was the Festool CT26E. I have had the CT26E around 5 or 6 years, and it does all the Fein did and more. Same features as the Fein, but the shape makes better storage and, of course, it is part of a system, which means for one that containers can be stacked on top. The result is a compact unit. I have the Oneida ultimate dust deputy connected. The combination is awesome. This dovetails with a range of power tools (router, sander, domino, biscuit) to make for a cleaner, safer environment.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I went through a bunch of lower end vacs before purchasing possibly the same Fein that Phillip mentions. It was an excellent vac: reasonably quiet, good suction, and auto-on feature. The only feature I disliked, and disliked a LOT, was the round body. This made the machine difficult to move around - always tripping over its own many wheels - and then difficult to park in a corner.

When I finally blew up the circuit board after about 10 years, I looked around for a replacement, and this was the Festool CT26E. I have had the CT26E around 5 or 6 years, and it does all the Fein did and more. Same features as the Fein, but the shape makes better storage and, of course, it is part of a system, which means for one that containers can be stacked on top. The result is a compact unit. I have the Oneida ultimate dust deputy connected. The combination is awesome. This dovetails with a range of power tools (router, sander, domino, biscuit) to make for a cleaner, safer environment.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, in another thread I had just asked about whether the dust deputy you have would latch on to the Festool CT 15 which I am told it doesn’t. So your set up with the CT 26 is what I am strongly considering. My question to you is, do you think the Oneida/CT 26 combination is better than pairing the Festool cyclone with theCT 26? I have always appreciated your valuable comments and superb photos. Thanks, David in Kentucky (who once lived on the other side of Australia!)

7. I have both. I bought the Midi first since it was smaller and was carrying back and forth to a house we were building. It't for that, and using with something that makes less dust like sanding. Using with the saws and router it fills up fast. Bought the 26 so I could leave one on the miter saw and move the other around. For me the decision would depend on having to transport one much. The Midi is nice and light and easy to carry and the bigger one more suited for the shop use only people. Both are quiet and work great so size is really the only factor.

The answer to your question really boils down to size and or probability. If you’re mobile , then the Midi is going to win out.

When you say more accessories , I presume you mean the boom arm. So you prob. don’t need portability.

Curious, why do want or feel you need a separator ?

I had an older Mini and now a 26. Looks like the new Midi and the 26 are fairly similar, except for size.

I don't like how the hose inlet on the mini/midi is in the "hose garage" - just had a feeling of "cheap" to me. The 26 seems more substantial, well-built, and seemed to have a more-pleasing design (to me).

Also consider replacement bags - there are aftermarket bags for the 26 that cost ~$5, but not sure about the Midi.

Hi, I have a Midi and a CT26.

The 26 stays in the shop, the Midi goes where required, it has the same features yet it's lighter and more compact.

It's not just the weight of the vacuum, the Festool vacuum's pack the dust bag so densely it's like removing a bag of concrete mix when you change them. That really adds to the weight if you're lugging them up stairs.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    The answer to your question really boils down to size and or probability. If you’re mobile , then the Midi is going to win out.

When you say more accessories , I presume you mean the boom arm. So you prob. don’t need portability.

Curious, why do want or feel you need a separator ?

Dave,
    Another creeker, who is in the same position, is interested in the separator. I, however, any not. A sander is my only Festool piece and will soon add a Domino and eventually a router or two. That will probably be the extent of my festool collection. The dust deputy takes a lot of vertical space and as a hobbyist I can get by with just emptying the bag.

Same level of performance so I'd do the Midi. If my old CT-22 ever gives up the ghost (it runs like new....) I'd replace it with the Midi since I only use the unit for extraction from tools; never for "cleanup" and storage capacity for material picked up really doesn't factor in.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    Derek, in another thread I had just asked about whether the dust deputy you have would latch on to the Festool CT 15 which I am told it doesn’t. So your set up with the CT 26 is what I am strongly considering. My question to you is, do you think the Oneida/CT 26 combination is better than pairing the Festool cyclone with theCT 26? I have always appreciated your valuable comments and superb photos. Thanks, David in Kentucky (who once lived on the other side of Australia!)
    Hi David

I was considering getting the Festool cyclone unit when a friend advised me against it. He has both units, and uses them in a professional shop, that is, on a daily basis. In his opinion (which I respect), the Festool cyclone is about 10% less effective than the Oneida. I think that it also has less capacity.

The other feature I really like about the Oneida unit is that it can be lined with a bag. There is a valve which equalises pressure to prevent the bag being sucked into the outlet. This is unique to Oneida.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Why not the CT15? It’s presence seems to go against the usual simple marketing of Festool, so it’s a bit difficult to determine how it differs from the midi. As best I can tell it doesn’t offer sustainer lock in and may not offer an anti static hose. I’ve seen them at the local dealer, but since I’m stocked up on dust extractors I haven’t inquired. The price is a lot more compelling.

Anyone know how the CT15 differs from the midi?

I’ve owned a 26 for almost a decade. It’s a great machine if you’re rolling around a shop or once you’re already set up at a job site. Not much fun to haul around, but really no machines are. The capacity of the 26 is a good compromise. I wouldn’t want much smaller for shop use.

I just went through this mental exercise of choosing between the Midi and CT26. The larger unit lost the fight, but only due to my limited shop size (errrr, my 2 car garage). If I had a bit more floor space, the larger vac would have one. Now that I've been using the Midi for a couple months, I have no regrets. It's a great machine, and I roll it under my outfeed table when not in use. It's super light weight and portable, so that will come in handy - I just know that.

So like others have said, if you want one vac for your shop, and you have no real space limitations, get the larger machine. If you want one to haul around with you to different projects, the Midi is the one you want.

I might also add that the hose storage for the Midi is tight. It fits, but I always feel as if I'm cramming it into a closest against its will, and it is an expensive hose should I damage it.

I have not purchased replacement bags yet. I'll be asking for input on that eventually......