Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite brand of hand carving tools?

Your favorite brand of hand carving tools?

I'm going to buy a carving tool set with a mallet. I may just buy a few pieces of carving tools and not buy a complete set. What are some of your favorite brands of carving tools? I want something that is very high quality, really works well and will last for years. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. Hi Mike,

I suspect this thread might be relocated to the hand tools forum, so if you don't find it here, look there.

I have some new Pfeils, and like them. I also have some old Addis and Buck. They are even better, but composing ones you want/need are difficult or at least takes time. That's why I mentioned the Pfeil brand, which is available at Woodcraft.

The ones below are some I've had since the late 1960s. These are Marples and ones from that perios come up as small sets often on the internet. These are good tools and can be purchased usually for a reasonable price.

The Marples also came with a different handle, but the tools are the same.

Take care, Mike

my vote for new tools goes to two cherries. i`ve used pfiel and taylor and they don`t hold an edge like two cherries......02 tod

havent tried 2 cherries, but I like the pfeil a lot. maybe I should try the 2 cherries .

lou

Pfeil!!!!!!!!!!

Be aware that Pfeil are also available online through several Canadian purveyors. Prices are dramaticly lower than those offered by Woodcraft.

I've had same experience as Steve. I think the Canadian source I used was "Feathermation" near Toronto. I have several brands and don't notice much difference.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I think woodcraft just lowered there prices on the pfeil by 25 - 35% from the 2005 prices, they be more competitive now. I will be making the trip for a few to compare the the Stubia that I use now.

Chuck

I am just a beginning carver and I find that the following 7 carving tools handle everything that I have so far attempted.

The set of 5 tools labelled A at http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,44106&p=44106

The gouge labelled F at the same link as above.

Item B at: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,31090&p=31090

I realize that there are better knives and chisels out there, but the quality and utility of these is good enough for me. Maybe, if I ever become a better and miore avid carver, I will "graduate" to something else.

Another idea that may be of interest is to look at Chris Pye's web site. There is a lot of information there and his books are fantastic. Here is the link http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/

He recomends a "beginers set" made up of individual gouges and has opinions on the different brands.

Chuck

I've tried a number of brands of carving tools and find the Pfeil to be the best. The place with the lowest price (that I've found) is KMS tools in Canada. They were friendly and reliable in my dealings with them.

In addition to the quality of the steel, I like the flats on the handles and the fact that each tool handle is stamped with the size. However, I marked the handles of all my other tools with the size with a black marker.

I had trouble with the Henry Taylor carving tools - I found the steel to fracture easily both when using the tools and when sharpening them (chipping of the edge). However, as time went by and the tools were worn down, I found them less likely to fracture. Perhaps the Henry Taylor tools I bought were tempered too hard on the end and once they wore down to softer metal they were alright.

The Ashley Iles tools are fine tools but have round handles. Narrow gouges with round handles tend to roll off the bench easier than those with flats on the handles.

Mike

Also, rather than buy a mallet, I would recommend that you make your own. That way, you can tailor it to your hand and get the weight that you like. It seems that people like different shapes, also.

Attached is a picture of the mallet that I settled on, after three or four earlier mallets. I tried different handle sizes and like this size. Also, I started with heavier mallets and went lighter with each one I made. This one is about 10 ounces but I only weighted it just now. When I would make a new mallet, I would make it lighter than the previous one by feeling it. I'd then give my older mallet to a woodworking friend who was starting in carving.

This mallet is maple and ebony. If I were to do it again, I'd use ebony for all the striking part of the mallet. With enough use, maple starts to come apart -but nothing lasts forever and mallets are easy to make.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wenzloff
    Hi Mike,

I suspect this thread might be relocated to the hand tools forum, so if you don't find it here, look there.

I have some new Pfeils, and like them. I also have some old Addis and Buck. They are even better, but composing ones you want/need are difficult or at least takes time. That's why I mentioned the Pfeil brand, which is available at Woodcraft.

The ones below are some I've had since the late 1960s. These are Marples and ones from that perios come up as small sets often on the internet. These are good tools and can be purchased usually for a reasonable price.

The Marples also came with a different handle, but the tools are the same.

Take care, Mike
    Mike

Thanks for telling me about the older tool brands. So far I have only bought three books on carving: Wood Carving by William Wheeler and Charles H. Hayward. Relief Carving by David Bennett and Roger Schroeder. Architectural Carving by Mike Burton.

What I'd like to do at first is draw some fancy cursive lettering on a sign and follow the lines with a carving tool to cut it out. Any particular size of carving tool perfect for this?

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    I've tried a number of brands of carving tools and find the Pfeil to be the best. The place with the lowest price (that I've found) is KMS tools in Canada. They were friendly and reliable in my dealings with them.

In addition to the quality of the steel, I like the flats on the handles and the fact that each tool handle is stamped with the size. However, I marked the handles of all my other tools with the size with a black marker.

I had trouble with the Henry Taylor carving tools - I found the steel to fracture easily both when using the tools and when sharpening them (chipping of the edge). However, as time went by and the tools were worn down, I found them less likely to fracture. Perhaps the Henry Taylor tools I bought were tempered too hard on the end and once they wore down to softer metal they were alright.

The Ashley Iles tools are fine tools but have round handles. Narrow gouges with round handles tend to roll off the bench easier than those with flats on the handles.

Mike
    Mike

Mike Burton talks about tool hardness in his 'Architectural Carving' book. He mentioned Grandpa's straight razor being made of high quality steel that was made as hard as possible. He said steel of that nature is easy to form a keen edge on and hold an edge well, but if you drop it this type of steel can easily be nicked or broken in two because it is so brittle.

He said tool makers try to strike a happy medium between leaving the tool hard enough to take and hold a keen edge while soft enough to prevent nicks and breakage.

Mike

Thanks to all the people who responded to my question about carving tool brands they prefer. The books I have on carving simply do not mention any brand names at all.

Pfiel, Two Cherries, Addis, Buck, and Taylor brands. I can now narrow it down to buying a few high quality carving tools or a set.

What are your favorite ways to sharpen these carving tools and I might as well ask what brands of sharpening products should I look at?

Thanks again

Mike