Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Peppermill

First Peppermill

I finally got back into turning after a 14 year break, I fell in love with it in High School but have been to busy since then. I picked up a Jet 1442 a few months back and have been playing with a few bowls and other things. This is my first attempt at a peppermill. I worked on this with a friend as a gift for xmas. It turned out pretty decent for our first attempt. It is finished with 4 coats of urethane. Do you thing that is enough to stand up to normal usage in a kitchen? Thanks Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is Wild! Very cool Chris! I would think that the finish would hold up just fine...but I'm no expert. But it's definitely a looker!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Great looking mill Chris, I like the laminations. Great Job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

A pepper mill is on my short list and you did a great job on this one. I really like the form and colors.

I want to make a few pepper mills, but can't figure out all the different 'step' drilling. What hardware did you use? Were the instructions complete? Can you offer some more insight on how it was constructed?

Oh, and welcome to the creek!

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomas
    can't figure out all the different 'step' drilling. What hardware did you use?
    Lars,
    I made my first pepper mill this year as a Christmas present. The drilling was actually the part that I had the least problem with, once I located all the right drill bits. If you have a drill press and a drill press vise to hold your blank in place it's easy. The kit that I used was from Pen State and the instructions were very clear.

Jason
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

Hi Chris,
    Your pepper mill is outstanding. One of my favorite items to turn and construct. Four coats of urethane will be fine, I generally apply five and found any more does not enhance or protect the mills any further.
    I see, or I think I see you have used the CrushGrind, if so, how do you like it?

Lars, if you go to the search block and input pepper mills - grinders - pepper and the such, I am sure you will find all the information one would wish on the subject.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Very cool pepper mill. Great work and color.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice job Chris. I like the design and the wood choices.

Ernie

Love the pepper mill ! so many turn the same ole' same ole', VERY unique ! It looks AWESOME and the use of the laminations rock !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I will hate see how great your work is when you're not JUST PLAYIN' AROUND! Great lookin'

Bruce

Lars, I followed the instructions for the Crushgrind Mechanism that I got from Brian at All Things Pepper. They were enough for me to figure it out but while doing some searching the other night I found very good instructions on the Australian Crushgrind site at http://www.crushgrind.com.au/instructions.php The main difference that I like in these instructions (besides being a lot easier to read) is to drill the through hole from both sides of the body, as I was off by about 1/32nd from some deflections from trying to drill through the 10" body. Not a big deal but would rather have it perfect. I'll do that for the second one I am starting to work on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Thomas
    I want to make a few pepper mills, but can't figure out all the different 'step' drilling. What hardware did you use? Were the instructions complete? Can you offer some more insight on how it was constructed?

Oh, and welcome to the creek!

The Crushgrind Mechanisms are so much higher quality than the other ones out there. The quality of the grind and how smooth they are in my opinion makes them worth the extra $5 each. My only complaint is that it seems like everyone only stocks the Crushgrind Shaft Mechanism that goes up to 12" I would like to create some bigger peppermills than this, but it sounds like it would require a minimum order of 100 mechanism to get them at this time. If anyone has had luck getting a hold of the 500mm ones please let me know as I would love to get my hands on some of them. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    Hi Chris,
    Your pepper mill is outstanding. One of my favorite items to turn and construct. Four coats of urethane will be fine, I generally apply five and found any more does not enhance or protect the mills any further.
    I see, or I think I see you have used the CrushGrind, if so, how do you like it?

Lars, if you go to the search block and input pepper mills - grinders - pepper and the such, I am sure you will find all the information one would wish on the subject.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pepper Mill Drives

Hi Chris, In the past we used to either make our own drive shafts or extensions if the kits were not available in the lengths needed. Many of the kits use square stock that is around 3/16. Measure the drive and grab some barstock at the local hardware or hobby shop. If the drive shaft is not replaceable use a section of square tube as a coupler, Here is a quick drawing. Hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's nice work Chris. I like the fact that you used a lamination, and a different design that what is the "norm" for mills. Very innovative indeed.