Thread: PM66 Safety Upgrades

PM66 Safety Upgrades

Hey everyone!

First post to the forum - I recently purchased a 1978 Powermatic 66 that is missing the bolt shown in the picture attached. I would like to add the SharkGuard Riving knife (although I'll take any recommendations) but right now it's just an empty hole there with no bolt/washer/anything. Can someone point me towards the right replacement parts to purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Shiv
    Attached Images Attached Images

So you are missing both the hollow bolt (36) and the jam nut (37)? The Shark Guard splitter will need both.

2021-01-05_12-09-26.jpg

Yup! I think that's it. Right now it's just an empty large threaded hole to the left rear of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiv Desai View Post
    Yup! I think that's it. Right now it's just an empty large threaded hole to the left rear of the blade.

OK, this is what the Sharkguard would look like installed:

20201006_iphone_0630.jpg

My saw came to me second-hand with the hollow bolt in place, and I sourced the jam nut locally. I would recommend that you register over at owwm.org and place a want-to-buy in the classifieds section. There are a lot of these saws out there and I'll bet a lot of their owners don't use a splitter, factory or otherwise. You could also check ebay or replacement tool parts websites, however just about every PM-specific part is NLA since that saw hasn't been made for over a decade.

Awesome - so I went ahead and registered at OWWM but I think found the part from the diagram: Adj.​ Scr,​ 3/​4-16 X 1-1/​2 Part Number: 3690232. I ordered one from a parts site and hopefully it's what I need, I'll try to source the jam nut from a hardware shop nearby.

Thanks for all your help and the quick replies! I'm super new to woodworking so if you have any other advice for the saw/calibration/anything really, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Shiv

Good luck. For learning techniques I have a soft spot for the New Yankee Workshop which is mostly behind a paywall these days. Woodworking magazines from the library. YouTube.

For anything and everything related to your specific saw, search for “66” over at owwm and read through the restoration threads. That’s what I did.

And there’s a great community here at the Creek that will chip in and help with just about anything.

As a new woodworker I would recommend you get the complete Shark Guard and use it for every cut that you can. I was surprised this year when, having not used any type of safety guard prior, that having the guard in place really was not bothersome to me. The second thing I would recommend is to plan for dust collection and to have and wear a respirator when it’s warranted (which is basically anytime you’re putting fine sawdust into the air).
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 01-05-2021 at 1:31 PM.

pm 66

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    Good luck. For learning techniques I have a soft spot for the New Yankee Workshop which is mostly behind a paywall these days. Woodworking magazines from the library. YouTube.

For anything and everything related to your specific saw, search for “66” over at owwm and read through the restoration threads. That’s what I did.

And there’s a great community here at the Creek that will chip in and help with just about anything.

As a new woodworker I would recommend you get the complete Shark Guard and use it for every cut that you can. I was surprised this year when, having not used any type of safety guard prior, that having the guard in place really was not bothersome to me. The second thing I would recommend is to plan for dust collection and to have and wear a respirator when it’s warranted (which is basically anytime you’re putting fine sawdust into the air).

Shiv,
    I have a 66 and love it. I added a splitter and overhead guard similar to the sharkguard and feel very good about it. Please use it and keep that guard down. I read somewhere that most accidents are not running into the blade, but being pulled back into the blade when a piece kicks back. The splitter helps avoid that and a riving knife should be be even better.
    Curtis Buchanan told me that all table saws are out to kill you and I treat mine accordingly.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by stevo wis; 01-05-2021 at 10:59 PM.