Thread: Resawing Epoxy Filled Wood

Resawing Epoxy Filled Wood

I'm curious if anyone has tried to resaw boards where large voids were filled with epoxy resin. Was the attempt successful or not?

I have an order for a magnetic knife board and I need to fill a large knot/void with black epoxy and then resaw it once cured. I am debating whether to try resawing prior to pouring the epxoy and risk damaging the piece of wood if it falls apart or pouring then cutting. The board is about 11" high and 30" long, but I don't want to gum up the bandsaw and spend hours cleaning it.

I could secure a piece of mdf to each half that might hold it together until reglued is cutting the epoxy is an issue.

Thanks for any advice.
    Jimmy
    Farmboy Designs

Epoxy resaws easily and it's swarf is not a problem for clean up--just like wood sawdust. If your stock is stable enough to resaw first I would do that just to use less epoxy.

Ditto here: Have never found it to be an issue. If I were planning to do lots of that, I might go for a carbide-tipped blade. Good luck.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Awesome. Thank you both for the input, it puts my mind at ease a little to know it won't be a major hassle. I do think I'll look at sawing first, but the option is now there for me.