Thread: spiral shaper cutterheads stacked for jointers & planers

spiral shaper cutterheads stacked for jointers & planers

I have some machines that I would love to fit with insert spiral cutterheads, such as a Rockwell 20" planer, a couple 12" planers, an 8" jointer, a 12" jointer, a 16" jointer, etc. Buying a Shelix of course would be the best route, but they are very expensive. I mean, like $2500 for the 20" planer. Grizzly sells cheaper options, but still pricey. And in particular, the 12" jointer uses babbitt bearings and an old, unsafe clamshell cutter. So I can't even buy what I want unless it was custom made- can't imagine the price for that!

I've recently become aware of the existence of spiral insert cutterheads for shapers that are 80mm or 100mm tall (3.14" or 3.93") and mount on a 1.25" shaft. These can be had for $129 or $139 each, respectively.

I am an amateur machinist and could fashion a suitable arbor on which these would mount and make the arbor to custom fit a particular machine.

My question on this sort of approach are:
    If you were to stack these up on an arbor, would there be a gap in the cut between them?
    They are aluminum (I think), and I think (not certain) that Shelix cutterheads are steel. Would that make a difference?

I await the "democratization" of insert cutterheads. It seems like the price should be dropping soon, given that most technology gets cheaper with increased popularity. Having a machine with one of these has long been a dream. Maybe this approach would make it more affordable?

https://www.toolstoday.com/v-7692-61...xoC3GIQAvD_BwE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lynn Kasdorf; 01-11-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: images not working