I mostly use chisels and gouges for building and inletting muzzleloading rifles, fowlers and pistols, but I've recently retired and would like to up my game by doing more relief carving on said guns and by possibly doing some relief carving on boards and what-not of animals or fish. I have a decent set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels and I'm pretty good at keeping them sharp, but I'm completely lost when it comes to gouges, veining tools and such, particularly when it relates to keeping them sharp.

I just made a deal on some carving tools sight unseen (I saw photos and they all appear to be in good/great condition and lightly used or new) for some English Addis tools, some German Boker tools, some German Frog tools and some English Record tools (new in box). I'm told by the guy that I'm trading with that they're all pretty decent quality tools and that I'll be happy with them and I am happy with the trade I made (I traded a curly maple gunstock blank for all of the above tools).

Can anyone tell me A) what sort of quality I might expect from these tools and B) if there's a simple sharpening system or device that I'll wish to invest in. For the chisels, I have some waterstones, some Arkansas stones and recently I've started to use float glass and 3M lapping paper with really impressive results, but I'm not as sure about how to keep the angle on the gouges and still sweep them to sharpen them properly. The veining/parting tools are another issue and I really don't have a clue.