Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who would you most like to take a class from

Who would you most like to take a class from

I am very fortunate in that I live an easy drive away from the Arrowmont School, John C. Campbell School and Tennessee Tech's Center for Arts and Crafts and have many options of classes available and master turners from whom to chose for a class instructor. Given that I would consider myself an "intermediate" level turner I am actively considering one of the "advanced" woodturning classes from one of these schools. But, if you were going to do a week of imersion instruction in woodturning, who would you most want for your instructor? Most of the "big" names come to these schools but, I have yet to decide who would be my first choice as an instructor. I enjoy watching Dave Hout on "woodturning Basics" on DIY but, I also like Nick Cook, Alan Lacer, David Marks ... Who would be your first choice and why?

Bin Pho or Alan Stirt. Both are doing amazing things with their turnings and I think that it could be applied at so many different levels. Bin Pho's forms, thinness, and the airbrushing could be applied seperately and still make a stunning piece. Alan Stirt's pieces are beautiful forms and the textures he uses make it art.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

I would take a class from our very own Bill G because I really like his work and would like to do some of the same.

Probably doesn't help much as I don't know if he attends those schools.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Bill Grumbine
    Michael Stafford
    Alan Lacer
    And for flat-work boxes and just because he's not far from me, Doug Stowe.
    Just remember the "Box Master - Mr. Stafford"....I'd like to hang out with him for both round and flat box making.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

This year at Arrowmont, if I had the time and money, I'd take classes from Cindy Drozda (March), Matthew Hill (August), the 2-week class w/ Graeme Priddle (June), or just for fun I'd like to take the spoon carving class with Barry Gordon in April.

As much as I'd like to take a class with ANY of these well-know folks, I'd also jump at the chance to spend time with David Ellsworth again. I felt very comfortable with him and loved his methodologies.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. In no particular order, my top 3 would be;

David Ellsworth
    Bill Grumbine
    Richard Raffin

Ken Fitzgerald ------ for how to shamlessly avoid the dark side in public view

and these guys too

Travis Stinson ----- for hollow forms
    Bill Grumbine ------- for technique
    Big Mike Stafford --- for boxes
    Stephen Hatcher --- for art
    Jim Ketron --------- for jig making
    Carole Valentine --- for itty bitty stuff

This is gonna be a looooooong list.... so I'll just stop here.
    Only the Blue Roads

David Marks

I've never seen a turning class on his schedule, but he certainly has the chops for it:
    look at the stuff at http://www.djmarks.com/sculptures.asp.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

10. I'd take a ww'ing/turning class from just about anybody if I had the chance...

I don't know if Christian Burchard comes there or not but I took a class from him and would take another in a heart beat. Why? He thinks "outside the box." Look at his web site you will see what I mean. Besides being a wonderfully patient teacher on techniques his discussions and analysis on design (real buzzword these days!) are better than anything I've read. While he certainly has his own ideas and style, he has no ax to grind and will teach you anything you want to know.
    Earl

OK, as usual Andy beat me to the punch, but here's my list....

Jim Ketron-Forest clearing
    Jim-Ketron-Hollow forms
    Travis Stinson-Natural edge
    John Hart-Courage to try anything, and succeed
    Andy Hoyt-Comedy
    Bill Stevener-Itty Bittys
    Mike Stafford-Boxes & writing
    Carole Valentine-Artful eye
    Glenn Hodges-Ability to hold stuff together
    Malcolm Tibbetts-Segmented

And like Andy said, the list could go on and on.........
    Last edited by Keith Burns; 01-05-2006 at 2:31 PM.

Without a doubt David Marks.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I don't think I'd want to take a class from a "big name" right now...Too intimidating. But....
    Keith Burns has always impressed me with his segmented stuff and eye for form.
    Glenn Hodges for his tenacity up against Mother Nature.
    And Travis Stinson of course for Awe-Inspiring HF work.

Oh....And Jim Ketron for welding...Not just that he welds...but because he is innovative in his approach.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John...forget any kind of "intimidation"...folks like David, Bill and the others really are very warm and you will more-or-less forget that they are the cream of the crop after only a few minutes as you get more an more into their teaching. Really. They are real people. And the things you will learn will take your turning to the next level and above very quickly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...