Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Recommendations on Air Sprayer and Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have an overall system regulator at 90psi for the entire network, a regulator on my dedicated spraying drop at 40 psi and there's a regulator on the gun for the pressure that squeezes the PPS flexible cup (kinda like one of those famous Playtex baby bottles) that's set to 5-8 psi, if my memory is accurate. Jeff puts a booklet in the box with the gun that details what the air requirements are "at the wall" and "at the cup". Your settings may be slightly different with the LVLP version as those for my HPLP version. (both conversion guns, of course)
    Ok, man this is all super confusing for me for some reason. Is there a reason you need a regulator at the beginning instead of just using the compressor's regulator? Are they not reliable or accurate or something?

Do you have multiple lines coming out of the compressor? Like one for spraying and one for nail guns, etc? That would maybe make sense to me as to why you don't you the compressor's regulator. I just thought they had one output, but clearly I have no idea what I'm doing, haha.

So if I were to use two regulators with filters, would this one be a good example or should I be looking for something better?

https://www.amazon.com/NANPU-Compres...055274&sr=8-13

Also, is the one that Jeff provides for use at the gun ok? Thanks so much for the help!

For a single use, and not a whole lot of supply line, one at the compressor, and one at the gun will be fine. The reason I have multiples is, as you said, for different uses, and I don't want to be having to adjust the regulator all the time, not to mention the different drops are a good ways apart anyway.

Those cheap regulators will work fine until they start getting water in them. I've lost track of how many I've changed on my small compressors. I did find that it's not worth spending a lot of money for one to go on those compressors though. Even the good ones start to get aggravating when they get beyond some amount of water that was ever in it.

Josh, the compressor's regulator is for the tank and mine goes to about 128 psi when full. I limit the air network to 90 psi because that's all that is necessary for the tools I use. Keep in mind that my air is piped throughout my shop. If you are connecting a hose to the compressor directly, you can use the compressor regulator if you wish to knock things down for your specific application. The input for my particular gun is good at about 40 psi.

Small regulators are pretty inexpensive. The one on the gun is specific to the gun and is appropriate for that application. You must have it on the gun because what happens is the input air from your compressor is used to "spray" and the on-gun regulator (for the gun we are discussing) is what knocks the pressure down to what is needed to compress the flexible cup liner which assists with fluid flow. That's why these guns are so great...with the correct N/N for the finish being used, you can spray the more viscous stuff as well as the thinner products with the same gun and with it held in any position, including upside down. Literally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Great, I'm definitely going to go that direction. Do you also have 3 regulators before the gun like John was mentioning? I'm maybe a bit confused about what he was saying. I figured one before the gun with filter and one at the gun would be enough, but it doesn't seem that way. Any other accessories or things I should buy to go with this whole setup that you would recommend? Thanks
    Josh, you're getting all confused. You need two regulator/separators, one at the outlet of the compressor and one near the gun. If the compressor has a regulator/separator already included when you buy it then you only need to buy one unit, the one near the gun. You're question about accessories was already answered.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Josh, you're getting all confused. You need two regulator/separators, one at the outlet of the compressor and one near the gun. If the compressor has a regulator/separator already included when you buy it then you only need to buy one unit, the one near the gun. You're question about accessories was already answered.

John
    Ok I gotcha. I was looking at this husky compressor which appears to have a regulator built in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27...074154#overlay

It also has 2 quick connect fittings. Does this mean that I could run 2 lines and have 2 separate drops? That way maybe before each ceiling reel I could have another regulator/filter and set one to 40psi and another to 90psi or so for nail guns, etc? I wasn't sure if that would mess anything up having 2 lines attached or if that was an option at all. Thanks again for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    For a single use, and not a whole lot of supply line, one at the compressor, and one at the gun will be fine. The reason I have multiples is, as you said, for different uses, and I don't want to be having to adjust the regulator all the time, not to mention the different drops are a good ways apart anyway.

Those cheap regulators will work fine until they start getting water in them. I've lost track of how many I've changed on my small compressors. I did find that it's not worth spending a lot of money for one to go on those compressors though. Even the good ones start to get aggravating when they get beyond some amount of water that was ever in it.
    Do you mean I shouldn't bother with a regulator/filter at all and just use the compressor's regulator and the one on the gun? The compressor I'm looking at appears to have 2 quick connect fittings. Am I able to attach 2 lines at once and have a different regulator for each? One at 40psi for painting and one at 90psi let's say for nail guns, etc? I wasn't sure if this was an option or not. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Josh, the compressor's regulator is for the tank and mine goes to about 128 psi when full. I limit the air network to 90 psi because that's all that is necessary for the tools I use. Keep in mind that my air is piped throughout my shop. If you are connecting a hose to the compressor directly, you can use the compressor regulator if you wish to knock things down for your specific application. The input for my particular gun is good at about 40 psi.

Small regulators are pretty inexpensive. The one on the gun is specific to the gun and is appropriate for that application. You must have it on the gun because what happens is the input air from your compressor is used to "spray" and the on-gun regulator (for the gun we are discussing) is what knocks the pressure down to what is needed to compress the flexible cup liner which assists with fluid flow. That's why these guns are so great...with the correct N/N for the finish being used, you can spray the more viscous stuff as well as the thinner products with the same gun and with it held in any position, including upside down. Literally.
    Hey Jim ok thanks I think I got it now. The only thing I was wondering about was the filter. If I just use the regulator on the compressor and then the one on the gun and there are no filters along the hose path is that ok or should I definitely be installing some type of filter no matter what? Thanks again for all the help!

I would use the compressor's regulator as the main regulator, as long as it lasts, and then get a better one for that location when it gets too aggravating to keep it going. On the compressors that I use than don't have refrigerated dryers, I have the largest water filter, for the size fittings, at the compressor, but I don't do much spraying with those.

edited to add: Be aware that there are Many different types of quick connect fittings. I use the same on everything, short of the rock drill, and those are all Milton "H" style, but you probably don't need ones to pass that much air, so smaller might be better for you. I just use the H ones because that's what I started with in 1974, and have had no reason to change.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-01-2021 at 4:39 PM.

Ok I gotcha. I was looking at this husky compressor which appears to have a regulator built in.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-27...074154#overlay

It also has 2 quick connect fittings. Does this mean that I could run 2 lines and have 2 separate drops? That way maybe before each ceiling reel I could have another regulator/filter and set one to 40psi and another to 90psi or so for nail guns, etc? I wasn't sure if that would mess anything up having 2 lines attached or if that was an option at all. Thanks again for all the help!
    Yes that unit has a built in regulator; actually, it looks like it has two regulators, one for each quick disconnect. I don't know why else there would be two gauges. If you want to run two lines, sure, go for it. As long as only one at a time is being used all will be well.

John

The two gauges are for tank pressure, and outlet pressure. I have an earlier version of that compressor. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and would sell mine cheap. I bought it because I didn't want to move my big one to a job in an 1850 attic, but we needed to shoot thousands of nails. It wasn't much faster than the small ones, and we still had to do a lot of waiting.

If you do get it, change the tank drain to a street elbow to a ball valve. That little butterfly cutoff will get clogged up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-01-2021 at 5:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The two gauges are for tank pressure, and outlet pressure. I have an earlier version of that compressor. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, and would sell mine cheap. I bought it because I didn't want to move my big one to a job in an 1850 attic, but we needed to shoot thousands of nails. It wasn't much faster than the small ones, and we still had to do a lot of waiting.

If you do get it, change the tank drain to a street elbow to a ball valve. That little butterfly cutoff will get clogged up.
    Damn that sucks. Any other recommendations under $500 that have a good CFM rating? I just want to make sure it's over 6 at 40psi. Thanks

Sorry, I haven't done a lot of looking. I bought that one on short notice. I have since bought a California Air one, with an aluminum tank, for portable work, and given away a couple of others.

edited to add: I did a search for California Air Tools compressors, and did a little looking. I didn't get one this big, but for your needs, this is the one I'd get. They have a 20 percent off code, that should pop up in a window, which puts it within your price range.

https://www.zoro.com/california-air-...ac/i/G2371768/
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-01-2021 at 7:14 PM.

Damn that sucks. Any other recommendations under $500 that have a good CFM rating? I just want to make sure it's over 6 at 40psi. Thanks
    Buy used. I bought my 60 gal compressor that puts out over 10 cfm at 40 psi for $300. Over 10 trouble free years.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Buy used. I bought my 60 gal compressor that puts out over 10 cfm at 40 psi for $300. Over 10 trouble free years.

John
    Yea I've been scouring clist and facebook for a week now, but no luck yet. I'll definitely keep looking though. Any thoughts on Husky or California Air? There's also a comparable Craftsman for $300ish. All of these seem to have good reviews, but no idea how good they actually are.

I paid $500 for my 10hp two-stage, with pressurized oiling, on a 120 gallon tank, and a nice Parker regulator on it. Paid $125 for the refrigerated dryer. Both off CL. I'm okay with used stuff too.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-01-2021 at 8:09 PM.