Thread: Anyone used "RazorSharp Sharpening Systems" paper wheels?

Anyone used "RazorSharp Sharpening Systems" paper wheels?

I got my new 1/2 speed Rikon half speed bench grinder yesterday, and today I'm probably going to buy the Wolverine grinding rest.
    However, I've also heard wonderful things about the 8" CBN grinding wheel, and thought I would pick one of those up - I have a LOT of straightening and cambering to do.
    Yesterday I saw the Razorsharp system, and I wondered if anyone else has used that system, and if I can get your feedback.
    You can find the site at <http://nextgen.sharpeningwheels.com/>
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Gosh, there are so many ways to sharpen blades. I’ve got a drawer full of jigs and such, and have tried, oil stones, Japanese water stones, Mikita horizontal wheels, scary sharp sand paper, and a half dozen jigs.

I finally settled into the Rinkon slow grinder with the Veritas tool rest jig. Quick consistent hollow grind.

I watched a couple videos on the razor sharp system, and the coarse grit would not be coarse enough for me, and there is no medium grits, no tool rest or jig to hold blades at a consistent angle, and the wheel is spinning awfully fast. If one is not careful, one could really mess a blade quickly with that system.

As I was writing this, the February issue of Popular Woodworking arrived, with an article on a new sharpening system! I laughed because this is probably recycled. It is the “Unicorn” system of sharpening.

Sharpening is very much a subjective choice, and is really what fits the user best. There is no right or wrong.
    Last edited by Thomas McCurnin; 01-27-2021 at 6:56 PM.
    Regards,

Tom

Thomas I agree; it's just that I finally got frustrated with truing my blades on my diamond stones, and the time it took. I'd rather use them for final honing.
    I bought the grinder, and I'm getting the accessory tool rest before I even assemble the grinder.
    The thought of $180.00 (Canadian) for the CBN wheel vs. 2 wheels plus the grit/cleaner/truer at $120. was interesting. I know you get what you pay for.
    But, even though it's a new product I thought some of our early adopters might have tried it out.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

There are many Youtubes on this sharpening system. This system is primarily for sharpening knives, not cutting tools. Recently i made a set of "fiber" (actually MDF) wheels. Biggest costs were charging rouge (green and white), carnuba wax, and a half pound of 220 silicon carbide. Because I'm that way, I built a set of jigs to make wheels, so I can make some more when needed, or a friend wants a set. Gave one set to a neighbor last week.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-27-2021 at 9:06 PM.

I have a set of the paper/cardboard wheels and have tried using them on and off over the years, and they don't seem to work very well for plane irons and chisels. It's too difficult to keep the back perfectly flat and you end up rounding the edge over. Like most others, I have tried multiple "systems" and types of stones, and about ten or so years ago discovered Shapton synthetic stones. That's pretty much all I use now.

I've got a set, from many moons ago. The coarse wheel is like a grinding wheel, works okay on something like a hatchet, the fine is pretty good to put a finished edge on knives and such although they kind of round the edges as opposed to hollow ground. The only thing I use the cardboard wheel for is a quick touch up of kitchen knives, the fine certainty leaves a mirror finish. On my set the course wheel isn't exactly round. You can see it in this shot how the grit got scraped off the wheel unevenly. I haven't used these in years.
    wheel.jpg

I'd not recommend these, there are many better options out there.

I see Amazon shows 4.5 stars, maybe they aren't out of round anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images