As you can see, I am new to this forum. I only discovered SMC a few days ago. I usually just browse and read other threads over on Woodnet or BT3central but I've been really impressed with what I've seen on this forum.
Quick background: I've been turning pens and bottle stoppers for about two years. Started making bowls this past November, just in time for Xmas. Turning on a Jet Mini (non-vs).
I love the bowl turning and want to upgrade to a full size lathe with electronic variable speed to turn bowls bigger than 10". I also want this purchase to be my last lathe. Looking to spend as high as 2k, or thereabouts. I've been eyeing the Jet 1642 EVS. Not sure about the sliding headstock but I have enough room that I could work with that if that is the route I go.
So first question - what would be your pick of a lathe for around 2k?
Second question: I have a few bowl blanks in the vincinity of 20" round, courtesy of the friendly wooded area behind my house. What I am curious about is when I turn it, it will have to be outboard turning assuming I get lathe with only 16 or 18 inch turning over the bed capacity, so...how do you true-up the bottom of the bowl to chuck it up after it has dried?? Since you can't true it up between centers, I'm all confused. I've yet to see or read anything to give me direction.
I hope this question makes sense. Forgive if not, or if it is dumb question.

Thanks!
Jason

ps - I had no knowledge of bowl turning; Ordered video from Bill Grumbine; Watched video; Turned 5 out of 6 bowls (one exploded on the lathe). In other words - the video is that darn good. Took a no-nothing about it and turned me into an amateur bowl turner. Thanks Bill!