Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clamps - preferred storage method

Clamps - preferred storage method

Doing some shop rearranging in my assembly area. What is your preferred method for storing clamps? Individually in evenly spaced slots or something like 5 or 6 on a rack sticking out from the wall?

Currently I have french cleats and two triangle shape connected pieces that stick out from the wall hanging individually from those french cleats. So everything is moveable. I can't say that I like or dislike this approach. The brackets could of been executed a little better, but other than that it works. I don't know if stacking like I have now is any more difference is used space than say all single file. Currently I have 9 of these moveable brackets that in total stick out 13" from the wall......which I probably would shorten.

I have 49 parallel clamps, either older Bessey's or Jorgesens ranging in size from the 12" up to the big 6 footish ones, with only a handful being in the long range. I have 12 of the cheaper F style (smaller bar version) clamps.

At this point I am kinda stuck as what route to go. Not sure the individual french cleat thing is necessary. I do kinda like the one Brad Rodriguez (Fix this build that) built but then it stick out more into the room. The single file would be less depth, but a lot of slot cutting.

Has anyone switched from one to the other?

Thoughts?
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Mine are in racks that stick out from the wall. Its the most space efficient way to do it.

Google "clamp rack". Each slot has just 1 bar clamp on mine although some hold more. I have 2 racks of 16ish.

This is what works for me...compact but holds a lot. Easily expandable if I need in the future.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

This is wonderful. Would you please come organize my shop?

TW
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 01-29-2021 at 9:20 PM.

I like that he even has a spot for cauls. (and they ahve clean tape on them)

Matt

Mine are like Jim's. Not as clean, however.

I can put 8 of the new Bessey Revo clamps on one rack sticking out.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have a NYW style rolling clamp cart. Need to build another, but don't have the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Jim,

This is wonderful. Would you please come organize my shop?

TW
    I wish Jim would stop posting that pic... I'm reminded of my own clamp inadequacy every time I see it..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I like that he even has a spot for cauls. (and they ahve clean tape on them)

Matt
    Yea, taping cauls is something you forget to do...the first time...and regret it enough not to forget again. LOL

------
    I really like having all my clamps and related in one place. (Caviat...my overflow for some pipe clamps I have is in the stairway that leads to my building's upper level...they are rarely used) The stacked holders for the larger clamps is really space efficient.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Mine are in racks that stick out from the wall. Its the most space efficient way to do it.
    Yep. I have a couple of formats of racks. One for long, large or odd-ball shaped and one for more standard-type clamps.
    Cleat Clamp Rack V2 Singles (5).jpgCleat Clamp Rack V2 (8).jpg
    All are cleat mounted and easily rearranged as required.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ok, stacked it is! I just need to execute the brackets a little better this time.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Yes, you need the brackets to be sturdy for sure. On mine, there is a slight rebate that they engage the wall mounting strip to provide positive spacing and a little more glue area. Screws are from the back. I'm comfortable with 5-6 max on these shop made units. If I wanted/needed a deeper stack, I'd just buy the popular very heavy metal brackets that are originally designed for things like garden tools but are just the right size and spacing for parallel clamps and even pipe clamps.
    --

I do a mixed set up. I don't have nearly as many as I need but the ones that are all identical get stacked on top of each other. While the odd ones are stored in a way that I can get to them without removing others. I'm also not as organized. I store them in different places in the shop behind tools that are up against a wall and aren't moved. Tools like the bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, drill press, etc have wall space behind them but aren't easily reached so I can't store small stuff because of the struggle to reach it.

If you are talking about the nice white powder-coated metal brackets I saw posted here once for clamps, I love them for all kinds of things; but my source no longer carries them.

Does anyone have a current source?