Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCM Shaper question

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    ...A quick way to get rid of those 9 out of ten potential customers that can't afford the product is to allow them to see list prices before they contact the sales office.
    Frank, I agree with you. It is challenging for companies that offer as broad a range of products, to as broad a range of clients, as SCM Group and we do. In the same day, I can talk to someone who can barely scrape together enough for a jointer/planer and then, someone who needs a big edgebander and a nesting router. Obviously, you would not want to put pricing on the website for as something like a 5-axis router. However, numerically speaking, we sell more Hammer A3's than any other machine and I agree that we need to make it easy for folks to find that info. BTW, folks can easily see the price of our most popular "budget" machines (Hammers) right in the E-shop. Also, and I'm not sure how other Felder reps handle this but I'll be glad to tell you tell you right up front, "Such-and-such machine will cost you about this many $$$". There aren't enough hours in the day for me to be playing games with folks on pricing, so it actually is helpful to know whether or not you can afford it before we spend a lot of time going back and forth. At least that's how I do things.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I just wanted to say that in my case both of the sales reps for Felder and SCM in my area have been good to talk too I just ordered a new Jointer, sent the check a week ago. It was between the Martin, Felder Plan 51 and the SCM invincible. I chose the SCM. Im not stuck on any brand, im basically comparing features and price. I saw all the machines at the AWFS.

The biggest frustration for me with the websites is not having list prices for the options. To be able to configure and know that the extra spindle is approx 500 dollars and not 1000 dollars, and things like that.

The reason the Nova 105 is appealing over the Felder 700 is the Ready 3 controller. I have that level of control on a couple machines and like it. On the other hand there isn't much info online on how user friendly that controller is.

In both cases, you don't hear the downsides from the sales reps. The quirky spindle locks and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I hear you. If the website was competitive with the best then sales people would probably get a lot few tire kickers
    I'm a worse tire kicker than anybody. I needed a new LED flashlight for a specific task and must have done the add-to-cart thing, then changed my mind, a dozen times before I actually bought it. We're talking about <$200 and I just needed to see it on pop up sale in order to pull the trigger.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I just wanted to say that in my case both of the sales reps for Felder and SCM in my area have been good to talk too I just ordered a new Jointer, sent the check a week ago. It was between the Martin, Felder Plan 51 and the SCM invincible. I chose the SCM. Im not stuck on any brand, im basically comparing features and price. I saw all the machines at the AWFS.
    That's the way to do it. I wish everyone could see these machines in person. It's the best way to actually see what you're getting. I was in the booth at the last Vegas show. You should say hello if you're going to another big show (not sure what/if is up with AWFS this year?). It's funny to watch the gang of FOG guys sneaking around Martin's booth, SCM's booth, our booth. John R. has always been friendly with me but I saw the FOG Gang crawling under the hood of one of our machines, started to go over to say hello, and they all ran off like they'd been cutting class and I was the hall monitor, LOL.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

in the auto world they just buy a competitors car and take it apart.

I know I'm bringing up an old thread but I did end up ordering that SCM T105 Shaper about a year ago. It took all this time to show up. Its pretty normal today for things like this to take a long time, I was patient but the machine arrived in good shape and I've been putting it together.

There is very little information on this machine online, so I will add some things here. I ordered it so long ago that I've actually forgotten a lot about it. I'm just reading the owners manual for the first time. It has automated controls for the rise/ fall, tilt and fence movement like a larger shaper, and it has a swing away fence. Anodized aluminum sliding table like a Felder Shaper.

It has a Pneumatic Air connection and regulator, for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've not run it yet. The parts manual shows a pneumatic cylinder .. I guess it will reveal itself.

SCM does a good job of packaging their equipment. A solid crate made of OSB. It arrived safe. I bought a jointer from SCM and it was also packaged in a solid OSB crate.

It has a 3 phase connection for a power feeder built in, my power feeder is single phase, but still a nice touch. The build quality seems pretty decent. Not Martin fit and finish, but still more than acceptable. Martin was double the money for the T-12.

At first look I would say this is a very nice artisan style shop machine. Not a T-130 build quality or mass, not a machine for really heavy production work, but for a guy like me it seems very nice and well featured. Its got an 8hp Motor so its capable enough. I will attempt to post some pictures if I can.

They had small panels on the front of the 130's, some them had a stop start for a feeder. Ive seen them where guys just wire them into the start switch on the machine. If so id want it to the live side to be able to run the feeder without the machine running. Think the ones wired with a stop start switch have overload protection inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    That's the way to do it. I wish everyone could see these machines in person. It's the best way to actually see what you're getting. I was in the booth at the last Vegas show. You should say hello if you're going to another big show (not sure what/if is up with AWFS this year?). It's funny to watch the gang of FOG guys sneaking around Martin's booth, SCM's booth, our booth. John R. has always been friendly with me but I saw the FOG Gang crawling under the hood of one of our machines, started to go over to say hello, and they all ran off like they'd been cutting class and I was the hall monitor, LOL.

Erik
    Who are the FOG guys? They sound mysterious!

Rick, congrats on the shaper! If you’re bored and want to snap pics of it (and your jointer) please do.

Blog Entries
    I know I'm bringing up an old thread but I did end up ordering that SCM T105 Shaper about a year ago. It took all this time to show up. Its pretty normal today for things like this to take a long time, I was patient but the machine arrived in good shape and I've been putting it together.

There is very little information on this machine online, so I will add some things here. I ordered it so long ago that I've actually forgotten a lot about it. I'm just reading the owners manual for the first time. It has automated controls for the rise/ fall, tilt and fence movement like a larger shaper, and it has a swing away fence. Anodized aluminum sliding table like a Felder Shaper.

It has a Pneumatic Air connection and regulator, for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've not run it yet. The parts manual shows a pneumatic cylinder .. I guess it will reveal itself.

SCM does a good job of packaging their equipment. A solid crate made of OSB. It arrived safe. I bought a jointer from SCM and it was also packaged in a solid OSB crate.

It has a 3 phase connection for a power feeder built in, my power feeder is single phase, but still a nice touch. The build quality seems pretty decent. Not Martin fit and finish, but still more than acceptable. Martin was double the money for the T-12.

At first look I would say this is a very nice artisan style shop machine. Not a T-130 build quality or mass, not a machine for really heavy production work, but for a guy like me it seems very nice and well featured. Its got an 8hp Motor so its capable enough. I will attempt to post some pictures if I can.
    Pneumatic spindle lock maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Who are the FOG guys? They sound mysterious!

Rick, congrats on the shaper! If you’re bored and want to snap pics of it (and your jointer) please do.

FOG = Festool Owners Group ? : > )

I don’t like the SCMI shapers. The couple I used in employments had so little table overhang, could have been result of engineer’s hangover .
    Seems they thought you might hurt yourself if you were able to clamp on a good shop made fence. They had a lot of small pieces of stuff
    that that no one could figure out what they were for. I see them as clunky.

Rick I have a Ti145EP, the pneumatic part is to activate the automatic movement of the fences/spindle movement, if you have no air, you can’t move them.

the spindle lock T lock accessories requrie external pneumatic fitting.

I have posted a 8 minutes video clip on YouTube of me going through TI145EP
    https://youtu.be/j00aPTETMYQ

Albert, thank you .. the pneumatic lines actually run up to the hood and fence. Your comments make perfect sense. Thank you

The spindle on mine is not up to what a T-145 would have, its old school. The fence and tilt are however automated so that makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 03-11-2022 at 11:13 PM.

Albert if you have a moment, or anyone that may know.

The shaper has automated rise/fall of the spindle. Factory set seems to be all the way down at 4.72" .. all the way up is 0 .. It seems backward to me. The manual is pretty good but it seems to be translated Italian so I'm scratching my head a bit..

Movement is nice and smooth, If 0.00 at the highest the spindle can go makes sense, I don't quite get it .. I'm feeling like I'm missing something. Is it backwards, needing to be calibrated, or am I ?

Albert if you have a moment, or anyone that may know.

The shaper has automated rise/fall of the spindle. Factory set seems to be all the way down at 4.72" .. all the way up is 0 .. It seems backward to me. The manual is pretty good but it seems to be translated Italian so I'm scratching my head a bit..

Movement is nice and smooth, If 0.00 at the highest the spindle can go makes sense, I don't quite get it .. I'm feeling like I'm missing something. Is it backwards, needing to be calibrated, or am I ?
    Rick, I think you can reset the values to whatever you like, say all the way down at 0. and then positive value as you go up, or the other way round...

Mine comes in with 0 value somewhere mid shaft and then its +25mm is the upper limit and -45mm is the lower limit. I only have 70mm of travel on my TI145, the available shaft above table is 140mm/5.5inch, there are limiter in place to limit the travel of the spindle.. it seems your spindle can travel 4.72 inch = 120mm?