Thread: Workshoe Soles Thread Rant

Workshoe Soles Thread Rant

The last workshoes I have bought for several years have a grid or thread design that retaing small pebbles, dirt, shavings, and lots of other junk. It would seem that the manufacturers would have some test for the sole pattern and could provide soles that could be worn from outside to inside without having to take a pick or other to clear the debris out. Using a bristle matt does not dislodge the junk and a pick or similar is needed. I made a pick out of a framing nail with head cut off in a wood handle, but that is only for use at home.

I have had the same issue with the walking shoes I have used for years as my daily foot cladding, including in the shop. It was mostly resolved when the environment changed...'got the driveway paved...but was frustrating because we have wide pine floors throughout most of the house. One little rock was not a good thing on the bottom of one's foot. I got in the habit of checking. I think part of the issue is many of the tread designs have the sides of the channels nearly vertically which allows something to more easily get wedged in. Tapered channels would be less prone to that. (You can see the same effect on vehicle tires quite often)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our driveway and various pathways around the yard are decomposed granite. I actually got rid of a brand-new pair of Nike Free running shoes days after I bought them. Super-comfortable but would collect DG and track it into the house. Drove me insane. My solution has just been to factor that in when shopping for new shoes (any type).

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I actually got rid of a brand-new pair of Nike Free running shoes days after I bought them.
    Yep, I've sent a new pair down the highway because I forgot to look at the tread pattern carefully before buying. I have a couple pair that can go outside to inside with a normal stop at the door mat. My higher boots have that rock-catching pattern but, do everything else so well I kept them and wear them for certain jobs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Use "dress" shoes for your work shoes. They generally have flat soles.

I have a pair or two of dress shoes...that now haven't been worn in a couple of years!... My everyday shoes are Northface walking shoes with a real heel, and that have a hiking tread, but it has wide channels that don't trap "stuff" or even sawdust (except maybe mud). But I rotate pairs. When new, they are worn only inside and I wear an older pair outside. When the outside pair gets ratty, the inside pair moves outside and I get a new pair for inside. I keep a long handled shoe horn in the garage so it takes seconds to change shoes without untying them.

I also have mid height hikers for trail hiking with the dog, and muck boots for working in the yard.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I actually bought and installed a shoe sole brush on the carport concrete floor to wipe my shoes on before coming into the house because it seems it's almost impossible to buy shoes without soles that do that. We have a gravel drive way on 3 sides of our home. My in-laws owned a RedWing shoe store for nearly 40 years. I used to get my boots that I wore at a significant discount (free). There was a style of round toed western boot that you could get in a 13 WWW that I wore for nearly 30 years...until they s topped making them. Now to buy a pair of boots to wear outside it seems impossible to get them with a walking heal and without a safety non-slip tread. I suspect there is a legal aspect that caused this.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-31-2021 at 4:01 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Most walking shoes do not have that aggressive tread, but are flat.
    Regards,

Tom

I had this problem for years and finally found these work boots and have used them ever since. If the tread is agressive enough for you then they work pretty good for not holding rocks. And the boots are very comfortable for walking.
    Carolina CA3049

Understand your complaint but I need a work boot with tread. I'm sure I'm not alone. The surfaces I encounter are so varied and in most instances a smooth soul would set me up for a fall at some point. That said I've always known work boots to come in a variety of tread patterns. A quick glance at the bottom is in order. Since my employer buys the boots I wear they also dictate which ones they will pay for. They all have a semi aggressive to aggressive tread pattern and heels.

Our shoes come off at the door so concerns about tracking debris. I still know what you mean though, as the little rocks make my one pair of shoes feel unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Our shoes come off at the door so concerns about tracking debris. I still know what you mean though, as the little rocks make my one pair of shoes feel unstable.
    Exactly what I do as far as footwear in the house. My work boots have a really wide tread pattern so no issues with rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Most walking shoes do not have that aggressive tread, but are flat.
    Yes, that's true, but there are still grooves to allow them to bend efficiently for their original purpose. The Sketchers I use have "just enough" of that to pick up small stones, such as the 3/8 red stone that all of our landscape is "mulched" with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I had this problem for years and finally found these work boots and have used them ever since. If the tread is agressive enough for you then they work pretty good for not holding rocks. And the boots are very comfortable for walking. Carolina CA3049
    That sole does not have a "definite" heel and not good for climbing ladders, etc to have stop. Years back, that type sole was not allowed inside a refinery that I was doing some consulting work for, but should be comfortable for general walking. I need the heel, but not going back in refinery thankfully in my retirement.